NetDocuments now gives you an opportunity to use ndMail within Gmail so Gmail users can now file their emails directly to NetDocuments.
Our first release includes core functionality needed to file emails.
Steps to install ndMail for Gmail can be found here.
Note: This is an admin-only install and needs to be deployed domain-wide (you can specify a group within your domain, if needed).
Interface Overview and Navigation
The Predictions Panel
After opening the ndMail add-on, the Predictions Panel appears.
A maximum of 10 locations will be returned in the predictions panel (highlighted above).
If you do not find what you are looking for, you can use Search.
The Search bar is available above the predictions section. You can start typing in there and click the Enter key on your keyboard to initiate the search.
Once you find the location you are looking for, simply click that location and it will bring you back to the predictions panel with that location added.
The Cabinet Selection Box
From the Cabinet Selection box, select the cabinet to file an item. This cabinet remains selected for the next items to file until you select a new one from the Cabinet Selection box. The filing is performed only per selected cabinet.
If you select a location in a particular cabinet but decide to navigate to another cabinet, then the selected location in the previous cabinet is lost.
ndMail will automatically use the subject name of the item as the file name when it goes into NetDocuments. You have the option to update that upon filing in the top of the panel.
ndMail, by default, will assign "Default" access to your item upon filing. "Default" access means it will inherit the same permissions as the location you are filing your item to.
You have the option to change this to:
- Default: Visible to any user that has access to the filing location
- Me: Only visible to the filing user
- Participants: Only visible to users the internal users in the to/from/cc fields
Here's how to make the update:
How to Use ndMail for Gmail
Open ndMail for Gmail Add-On
- Open a browser and navigate to Gmail.
- Login to Gmail.
- Select any email > ndMail add-on button on the right task bar.
File an Email to NetDocuments
After you install ndMail for Gmail, it automatically generates a list of predictive filing locations to save your email.
To File an Email to NetDocuments:
- Select an email and open ndMail.
- Click on the location you want to file to (you can choose more than one).
- If you do not see your desired filing location in the predictions, select a different cabinet in the Cabinet Selection box and ensure you are looking in the correct Cabinet.
- Use the Search button to search for a workspace or a folder by any word in the name of the location. Note that predictions improve the more you use ndMail.
- If you want to make the email only accessible to the internal sender and internal recipients, use the Access Control setting by selecting the button > Access > Participants.
- Select File.
Note: You do not have to wait until ndMail finishes filing. It is done in the background while you can move on to another email.
- If you select an email that is already filed, you will see the location where the item is filed (if you have access to both the message and the location in NetDocuments).
Support and Feedback
If you have any feedback, questions, or issues, submit a request using the link in the banner or call the closest customer support center:
- US customers, call 801-226-6882 or 866-NET DOCS (638-3627)
- EU customers, call +44(0) 2034.55677
- AU customers, call +61 2 8310 4319
We thank you for your input and feedback. We value you as a customer.
The NetDocuments Team