What's New in ndMail 1.8
ndMail 1.8 offers significant performance improvements for your day-to-day tasks in Outlook. The time to perform most major tasks is improved - from viewing emails to switching folders and much more. We've improved your Outlook experience so you can get more done in a day with less effort.
The latest generally available (GA) version can always be downloaded from the ndMail product page and the permalink for this release is: https://apps.netdocuments.com/apps/ndMail/ndMailSetup-1.8.0.zip.
NOTES: Folder Mapping changes outlined below require the Folder Mapping version included with ndMail 1.8.0 (Folder Mapping version 1.0.7404). ndMail 1.8.0 also requires .NET 4.8 so you may have to update your device prior to installing ndMail 1.8.
- Outlook performance improvements
- Calendar item improvements
- Do not move Sent Items with File & Move (option)
- Support for German datacenter
- Folder Mapping for Online Archives (with third-party integration)
- Fixed Issues
- Requirement for .NET 4.8
- New Registry Settings for ndMail
Outlook Performance Improvements
Significant work was done to optimize the use of Outlook processing threads. These changes have allowed us to improve performance and speed in Outlook in the following key scenarios as well as numerous other scenarios. Outlook performance is highly dependent on the individual computer and environment - customers who already see good performance today may see smaller improvements whereas customers on slower environments are expected to see significant improvements.
- Up to 75% faster to double-click to open an email.
- Up to 40% faster switching between Outlook folders.
- Up to 60% faster to click through emails with the Outlook Reading Pane open.
Calendar Item Improvements
Significant work was done to improve how ndMail handles calendar appointments and meetings. As was noted in the 1.7 update notes, users had previously reported being prompted to save meetings or invites in various scenarios when they did not make any changes to the item. We're pleased to announce that 1.8 fixes all known customer-reported issues of this nature as well as a number of others that were identified by our engineering teams internally.
Do Not Move Sent Items with File & Move
ndMail 1.8 introduces a refinement to the File & Move feature to allow you to keep sent items in the Sent Items folder even if File & Move is enabled. To enable this option, click the gear/settings icon on the ndMail panel and select the Do not move Sent Items check box as shown below.
Support for the German Datacenter
ndMail 1.8 includes support for any customer using our new Germany (DE) Service. As a note, you must use ndOffice 2.7+ in conjunction with ndMail 1.8 to use this service/host.
Folder Mapping for Exchange Online Archives
We have introduced a registry setting (per the registry settings at the bottom of this article) in Folder Mapping that can be used in conjunction with technologies from our partner, Verqu, to file email using Folder Mapping from Exchange Online Archives. For more information on this integration (and other archiving solutions), please contact our support team and they'll put you in contact with the appropriate people.
- Fixed an issue so that now you can't select a location from the Browse dialog box that is not in the cabinet that you currently have selected in the ndMail panel. Previously, if you would select a cabinet other than the one that was active on the ndMail panel, the filing could fail.
- Fixed an issue with forwarding a calendar invite so that ndMail does not prompt you to save the item before forwarding.
- Fixed an issue where Outlook would prompt to save a calendar invite/meeting when closing the item even if no changes were made to the item.
- Fixed an issue where Favorite Workspaces did not appear in alphabetical order in the ndMail search drop-down list.
- Improved a workflow where the File & Move setting would become disabled and you would have to select a File & Move location again. This fix significantly reduces the occurrences of this dropping off inadvertently.
- Fixed an issue with showing predictions when opening a message locally from your device.
- Fixed an issue where a second prediction request was generated if you used Delay Delivery in Outlook and viewed the item in the Outbox.
- Fixed an issue in folder mapping where certain filing requests would fail when the add-in could not retrieve the mailbox's email address properly.
- Fixed an issue where the ndMail Navigation panels would not load if the Reading Pane was off. (Note: this requires ndOffice 2.7)
- Fixed an issue where if you added email-related columns to your view in the ndMail panels (showing content from NetDocuments), those columns would be removed after Outlook restart. (Note: this requires ndOffice 2.7)
Requirement for .NET 4.8
Starting with ndMail 1.8, we now require the device to have .NET 4.8 installed. This helps us make use of more modern technologies and improve your ndMail experience as we build new features. Please note that 2019 and 2020 versions of Windows 10 should already include .NET 4.8 by default. If you have an older version of Windows you will need to ensure .NET 4.8 is installed before installing ndMail 1.8. The .NET 4.8 install generally requires a reboot of the device as well.
New Registry Settings for ndMail Predictive Filing
This value determines whether the File & Move feature should move items in the Sent Items folder or not. When set to False (or doesn't exist) then File & Move will move any item (including those in the Sent Items folder) to the location the user specifies. When set to True the File & Move feature will not move items in the Sent Items folder.
New Registry Settings for ndMail Folder Mapping
This specifies whether the Folder Mapping Outlook client add-in should file emails (0) or not (1). When set to 1, a third-party such as Verqu can control the filing of the items in mapped folders and ndMail will only control the mapping relationship but not the filing itself for those mapped folders.