There is an issue regarding the Microsoft Word Add-in that caused it to stay disabled. The only reliable fix was to perform a full online repair of Office, but then the issue tended to come back. We have found the root cause of this, which was a Microsoft Windows/Office update. The update originated from the Microsoft Store for the Office app.
The automatic updates were removing permissions to crucial Microsoft Office Assemblies which ndOffice needed to run the Word Add-in. We have at this time passed on all the information we had to Microsoft so they can work on their side, however, there are items that need to be addressed to re-enable the Word Add-in permanently.
1. Either you uninstall the Office App or you turn off all automatic updates from the Microsoft Store. Preferably, it's best to just remove this single App which is causing the problems. (There have been instances where the Office app is not installed on the machine with the issue. Which means there are other apps that are causing this issue, so at this point just turn off automatic updates and continue with the rest of the steps)
To remove the app from your machine:
- Click on your start menu and type in "Add or remove" and then select the option of "Add or Remove Programs"
- In the search box type "office" and from that list find the one named just "Office" by Microsoft Corporation. This is the one you will uninstall.
Turn off Store automatic updates:
- Click on the windows icon and type in "store" and select the option of "Microsoft Store"
- In the top right, click on the ellipses and choose "Settings"
- The top option is "Update apps automatically". Turn this off
You can push this out firm-wide using GPO and updating a registry key.
2. The last step is to fix the add-in, now that we have removed the App that will break it again.
Do a full Online Repair of Microsoft Office to put the assemblies all back to normal.
After this, the Add-in should load just fine and with the updates disabled, or App removed, the issue shouldn't come back.