Profile Templates are used to fill in custom profile fields when creating, uploading, or editing documents. Since Cabinets can have different profile fields, Profile Templates are specific to each Cabinet.
Creating a Profile Template
The quickest way to create a Profile Template is to upload a document (choose Add > Upload). On the Upload Documents page, select a document and click the Edit Profile/Tags button:
On the Edit Profile page, complete all fields you wish to store in the Profile Template:
All completed fields will be stored in the Profile Template, with the exception of the Document Name.
IMPORTANT NOTE: It is recommended that you NOT store values for profile fields that are associated with a document’s filing location (example: Client, Matter, Doc Type).†
Click “Save As Template” to store the completed fields in a Profile Template:
The Save Profile Template dialog prompts you to create a new template or replace an existing template:
A Profile Template name can contain up to 20 characters, consisting of letters, digits, spaces, underscores and dashes.
Once a Profile Template has been created, it can be used when creating, uploading or editing documents.
Applying a Profile Template
Profile Templates can be accessed from the Edit Profile page when creating, uploading, or editing documents.
Creating or Uploading a document
When creating a new document or uploading an existing document, Profile Templates for the selected Cabinet are listed below the filing location:
By default, no Profile Template will be selected. Select a Profile Template to apply it to the current document(s).
- If the document profile is complete, clicking OK will create the new document with the appropriate profile fields.
- If the document profile is incomplete, clicking OK will open the Edit Profile page to complete the profile before creating the new document.
- Clicking Edit Profile/Tags will open the Edit Profile page to view/edit the document profile.
Editing a document profile
When editing a document profile, Profile Templates for the current Cabinet are found in the upper right corner of the Edit Profile page:
Select a Profile Template to apply it to the current document. Applying the Profile Template will fill any fields stored in the template.
- If the document’s profile is complete, clicking OK will create the new document with the appropriate profile fields.
- If the document’s profile is incomplete, clicking OK will provide a warning about missing profile fields.
The Profile Template will overwrite existing values in profile fields with the data stored in the template. For example, if a document has values completed for Author and Practice Area, applying the Profile Template will replace the current Author and Practice Area with the values stored in the template. If a Profile Template does not have values stored for profile fields, applying the Profile Template will not clear existing values from a profile.
† IMPORTANT NOTE:
Storing values for profile fields that are associated with a document’s filing location is not recommended and could result in documents being misfiled or incorrectly profiled. The following scenarios are possible if you store Client, Matter or Document Type values in a Profile Template:
- If you are uploading a document to a workspace or filter and apply a Profile Template that has stored values for Client and Matter, the document will be profiled with the values stored in the Profile Template. In this case, the document will be found in the Template workspace and will not be found in the selected workspace.
- If you are uploading a document to a folder and apply a Profile Template that has stored values for Client and Matter, the document will be placed in the desired folder, but will be profiled with the values stored in the Profile Template. In this case, the document will be found in the selected folder and in the Template workspace and will not be found in the folder’s workspace.
Default Profile Template
A default Profile Template is automatically applied when a document is created or uploaded. This eliminates the need to select a Profile Template with each new document.
Setting a Default Profile Template
To set a default Profile Template, choose Settings from the Personal menu:
From the Settings menu, choose Application Settings. At the bottom of the Application Settings dialog, you can identify the Default Profile Template for each cabinet:
To add a Default Profile Template for another cabinet, click the +Add Default Template option.