The following are system requirements for various NetDocuments interfaces, integrations, and client software.
NetDocuments Web User Interface
- Operating system: Windows 7+ or Mac OSX
- Office: Not applicable.
- Browser: The latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Edge.
ndClick runs on Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge for either Windows or Mac OS. ActiveX runs in Internet Explorer.
NetDocuments supports the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Edge, and Internet Explorer.
The ActiveX control is only supported in Internet Explorer. Learn more about recommended Internet Explorer settings.
NetDocuments is designed for a minimum 1024 x 768 monitor resolution. A higher monitor resolution is recommended.
Before installing the ndOffice add-in, you must have Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime (VSTO).
- Operating system: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (only 64-bit is supported)
- Office: The following versions of MS Office are supported:
Word 2010 (SP2)*, 2013, 2016 and 2019
Excel 2010 (SP2)*, 2013, 2016 and 2019
PowerPoint 2010 (SP2)*, 2013, 2016 and 2019
Outlook 2010 (SP2)*, 2013, 2016 and 2019
Adobe Acrobat DC
Adobe Reader DC
* ndOffice support for Office 2010 will end on October 13, 2020, in conjunction with Microsoft's end of support for the same product.
Note: ndOffice is tested and compatible with the 32-bit version of Office 2010, 2013, and 2016 and the 64-bit version of Office 2013 and 2016.
If you are using a Microsoft Office 365 for Business account, you can edit documents using the Office 365 web apps. Learn more about Online Editing
- Browser: N/A (both ActiveX and ndClick support hand-off from the browser to Office)
- ndOffice requires that you install .NET version 4.5.2+.
Before installing the ndMail add-in, you must have Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime (VSTO), Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2+, ndOffice application, and all available Windows updates installed on a computer.
Warning: Before installing, repairing, or uninstalling the ndMail application, you need to close Microsoft Outlook.
Supported Operating System
Windows 7, 10 (64-bit)
Microsoft Office Outlook
|2013, 2016, 2019/Office 365 (32- or 64-bit)|
Visual Studio Tools for Office
Requires Version 10.0.50903+ for installation
Requires Version 4.5.2+ for installation
2010 SP3, 2013, 2016, Online (Microsoft Office 365 subscription)
ndExplorer (NetDocuments Email)
- Microsoft Exchange Server versions 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Online.
- Server 2003, 2008, and 2012
- Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, and 2016
- Client OS: Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10
For more detailed system requirements, submit a request via our support site.
Email Management Service
If you are using Email Management Service (EMS Profiler or EMS Folders), you need the following:
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 or higher.
- Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, or 2016
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2+
Email Management add-ins work better with more PC memory and faster processors. We suggest a minimum of 2GB of memory and a current-level CPU.
- Operating system: Windows 7+ (32-bit and 64-bit) and Mac OS
- Office: N/A
- Browser: N/A
- Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit or Windows Server 2016 64-bit.
- You may also run ndMirror on any Windows 7+ (64-bit) desktop OS. We recommend the most current OS.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (R2), 2014, or 2016.
- .NET Framework 4.6.2 is required for installation.
- Sufficient disk space to store all documents plus 15%.
- Operating system: Windows (32-bit or 64-bit)
- .NET Framework 4.6.2 is required
- Office: N/A
- Browser: N/A
Mobile apps are available for iOS and Android devices. The two most recent OS versions are supported.
For alternate devices, our mobile web interface can be used to access NetDocuments. Because of the limitations of some of these devices, not all NetDocuments features are available when using these devices. If you are using a PC or a Mac with the mobile interface, you can manually download documents and work on them and then upload them back to NetDocuments.
Because NetDocuments utilizes the internet and a web browser for access, maximizing your internet bandwidth is one of the most important considerations in addition to utilizing appropriate client hardware when using the NetDocuments Service. If the bandwidth is minimal and/or your client hardware is minimal, your performance experience when using NetDocuments is less than optimal.
With the price of internet bandwidth becoming less expensive and the increased bandwidth size becoming more available, we recommend that you utilize the highest bandwidth available to you when possible.
Today with the wider availability of applications which utilize the internet, in most cases, you can use the bandwidth you purchase for other applications in addition to the NetDocuments Service, so it is advisable to maximize the bandwidth to the fullest extent available to you.
We recommend, as a rule of thumb, that you acquire the maximum bandwidth available to you in order to optimize your usage of NetDocuments and other applications which may share that bandwidth. As a minimum, a 50-user office should have a 10Mbps pipe. Of course, that minimum requirement depends on what else the internet is being used for at your organization.
We recommend that you use Echoing in locations where you control access to the computer, such as your office or home. We recommend that you do NOT use Echoing when at other temporary locations, such as a client's site, airplane, kiosks, cyber cafes, and so forth.
We strongly recommend that you keep your operating system and browser versions and updates current. Timely updating also provides you with the latest security enhancements.
To keep your computer current with the latest Microsoft updates for your computer's operation system, software, and hardware, use Windows Updates.