If you see "Error: The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel" then you will need to update ndLink to fix this.
Below are the steps to update ndLink.
NOTE: For the newer versions of ndLink you will need .NET Framework 4.6.1+ installed.
The update is easy and it will keep all of the prior settings and configurations.
Do the following in order:
- Before continuing, make backups of all of the affected profile attribute tables. Most commonly used tables are Client and Matter, however, any table that is updated by Ndlink2 should have a backup created and saved locally.
- Update .NET Framework on the Ndlink2 machine to version 4.6.1 or anything newer.
- Locate and open the ndLink2.exe program and stop the ndLink2 service, if it is running (we prefer that you end the service this way in lieu of doing through the windows services menu).
- Exit the NdLink2 program.
- Locate the program files for Ndlink2, specifically, look for the NDLink2_data folder. It should reside alongside the ndlink2.exe file that you used previously.
- Create a backup of your current ndLink2_Data folder and contents. Save it somewhere easily accessible.
- Uninstall the ndLink2Service from Programs and Features (Apps and Features in Win 10 or Server 2016 r2).
- Download the latest version of ndLink from the support site. Save it to the desktop of the PC or Server that Ndlink2 is currently running on.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP. Use them to replace the current ndlink2 files. Do not overwrite the NdLink2_data folder (you shouldn't be prompted for this anyway). Copy and replace them as prompted by windows.
- Re-install the ndLink service by running ndLink2ServiceSetup.msi from the extracted files.
- Run ndLink2.exe and it should initiate the service and start up automatically if all settings remained the same. If you have switched the actual machine this is running on, you'll need to update or recreate the ODBC connector. See the ndLink Installation and Setup Guide for more info. The program should pick up all your configuration files, activities, SQL string, etc. and should start itself. If the service doesn't start on its own, and all buttons are green, start the service using the button.
- If the software doesn't start and you have red buttons, refer back to the ndLink Installation and Setup Guide for more help in configuring the red buttons.
- Delete or store the backed up copy of Ndlink2_data. This is just to have as a backup copy of all settings in case something went awry, but it's a good thing to have stashed somewhere on the server so you don't have to rebuild your activities or SQL string from scratch, if something were to happen to Ndlink2, its files, or service at a later date.
***If the update needs to be completed on Windows Server 2008 R2 or some 2012 R2 instances, you will often need to add the TLS protocols to the registry. This link has a stepped process to do that:
As with any registry change, we highly recommend that you make a backup of your registry prior to any change.
If you are not familiar with making registry changes or are uncomfortable doing so without guidance, please contact NetDocuments Support and we will assist you in making the necessary changes to update your version of ndlink2 to a TLS 1.2 compliant version.
Please keep in mind that you must have .NET Framework 4.6.1 or newer, installed prior to calling Support.