||21 Sep 2017
The icons that appear over the files in the ndSync Folder have been changed and there have been changes made to when the overlay icons appear:
- All synced content (containers and document) are shown with the blue checkbox.
- Any content that cannot be synced (for example, if a file is too large) appears with a red circle with a horizontal line.
- Any ancestor containers of synced containers that are not themselves synced are shown without any overlay icon at all, because they are neither synced nor has syncing failed.
NetDocuments 17.2 contains new icons for cabinets, workspaces, and filters. Those new icons are included in ndSync for Mac.
Key New Features
ndSync for Mac v2.1 contains several new and valuable features:
- A right-click document action has been added to allow a user to create a new version of a document. This action will not only create the new version, it will also check out the document and open the document in the native application. The user is responsible for checking the document back in.
- Because additional right-click actions have been added over time, when more than one ndSync right click action is available for an item, all of the actions will now be grouped under a parent “ndSync actions” menu, when accessing an item from Finder:
- A right-click “Sync now” action has been added to workspaces, to allow an entire workspace to be synced by itself.
Because users may inadvertently delete synced content from their computer, not realizing that those deletions will be applied to content stored on the server, we have added several restrictions on deleting synced content.
- ndSync already attempts to restrict a user’s ability to delete cabinets, workspaces, filters and top-level folder by changing folder permissions on the user’s computer. However, these restrictions can be overridden by a technically savvy user. Therefore, if a user manages to delete any of those types of containers from their computer, ndSync will not attempt to apply those deletions to the server, but instead ndSync will attempt to restore any such deleted containers.
- In NetDocuments 17.2, a repository-level setting will be introduced that will prohibit any deletion made to ndSync content from being applied to the server, to guard against inadvertent deletions. (This setting will not be enabled by default.) If this setting is enabled and a user deletes synced content from their computer, the deleted synced content will instead be restored to the user’s computer on the next sync. However, a user will be able to delete a single document at a time by using the ndSync proprietary right-click “Delete” action and have that deletion applied to the server (assuming, of course, the user has sufficient access rights to the document in NetDocuments).
Finally, ndSync for Mac 2.1 contains several smaller enhancements, some of which tweak existing features:
- The “Permanently Delete” ndSync right-click action has been renamed “Delete,” but has the same behavior: content is deleted from the server and permanently deleted from the user’s computer.
- The right-click action “View Document Online” has been renamed “Open document from server”.
- After a user’s initial login to ndSync, the “Select Items to Synchronize” dialog will not appear after future logins.
- An ndSync .plist setting, ShowLoginOnStartup, with a value of “True” or “False”, can be added to control whether or not the ndSync login page appears when the user’s computer or virtual desktop starts up, if the user has not logged in already. By default, the login page appears.
- Changes made on the “Select Items to Synchronize” dialog will not take effect until the “OK” button is clicked.