What's New in ndOffice 2.8
ndOffice 2.8 offers new features to improve productivity and improve your use in the MS Office suite and Adobe Acrobat.
The latest generally available (GA) version can always be downloaded from the ndOffice Product Page and the permalink for this release is https://apps.netdocuments.com/apps/ndOffice/ndOfficeSetup-2.8.1.zip.
- Support for Visio
- Navigation Pane State
- Rename and Add Version Description on Save
- Language selection
- Resizeable windows/dialogs
- DLP Support
- Details Pane on Save As dialog
- Additional improvements
- Fixed Issues
- Extensibility API Improvements and Fixes
- New registry settings
Support for Visio
We're pleased to announce that ndOffice 2.8 supports MS Visio in the same way it supports MS Word/Excel/PPT. You can now Save and Open Visio documents directly to/from NetDocuments via ndOffice. Additionally, if a Visio document is attached to an outgoing email draft, ndOffice can be used to convert that Visio document into a PDF after sending, just like with any other attachment.
Navigation Pane State
ndOffice 2.8 now retains the Navigation Pane state of your cabinets in the Navigation Pane of the Save, Save As, and Open dialog boxes as well as in the ndMail/Outlook navigation pane. This streamlines your workflow and is especially useful if you have access to many cabinets but primarily work in just a few of those cabinets.
Rename and Add Version Description on Save
ndOffice 2.8 now provides the option to rename a document, edit the version name, and edit the version description when saving a document as a new version of an existing document in NetDocuments. When you go through this saving process now, the following dialog box will appear. The File Name, Version name, and Version description fields are available and enabled for you to use. This saves the significant effort of going in and renaming/editing these fields after the document has been saved, as was previously the case.
Additionally, when you save a new document, you will also see the Version Name and Version Description fields available so you can add that metadata on the initial version as well.
ndOffice 2.8 now provides a graphical user interface to switch the language of the interface. Previously, in ndOffice 2.7, this selection could only be made via the registry. The same languages supported by ndOffice 2.7 are available - English, French, Spanish, and German.
You can now resize most ndOffice windows and dialogs to fit their needs. The size you select for a given window will also be remembered the next time you open that window. This allows you more screen space to get your work done in ndOffice and better accommodates users who tend to work with long workspace, folder, or document names.
ndOffice 2.8 now displays the DLP policies applied to a document from within the ndOffice dialogs via the ndOffice details pane. Additionally, any DLP restricted action attempted in ndOffice will be blocked appropriately per the policy that is applied to the document.
Details Pane on Save As dialog
When you use the Save As dialog box, you now have profile details at your fingertips with the Details pane open by default. If you save a document as a new version (shown below), then you cannot change the profile information for the document but if you save a new document, you can modify the profile details and/or apply Profile Templates and Security Templates via this pane.
- ndOffice authentication (i.e. the login and OAuth dialogs) no longer use Internet Explorer to render. NOTE: This introduces a new third-party license into NetDocuments to accomplish this - the EO.WebBrowser technology.
- When inserting a link of a document version into an email draft, you can now select multiple versions to link into the email. Each version will have its own link section created in the email message body.
- The ndOffice installer now revokes the user's token upon uninstalling if you have not revoked it already via your user settings. This means that after reinstalling, you will always have to log back in and go through the OAuth dialog to Allow ndOffice to access their account.
- External Users who only have access to Collabspaces can now see those Collabspaces in the ndOffice navigation panel.
- The ndOffice Profile lookup dialog box now sorts the results when you select to sort by key or description even if you don't select the Find button again.
- If you select a document/version in the Activity Center which has been deleted or had its access restricted so that you cannot see it anymore, you will now see the message which says This document no longer exists or you may not have access to it.
- When opening a document/version from the Activity Center, if that version is not the latest or the official version, then you will see an alert asking if you want to open the latest or official version instead.
- When emailing a link or a copy of a document from an ndOffice context menu (i.e. right-clicking in the Activity Center or ndMail/Outlook panels), the default name for the attachment/link now follows the default attachment naming convention designated on the cabinet administration page.
- Optimized the CPU usage in certain cases by ndOffice via changing how we track add-in state changes and by optimizing garbage collection. You may see a noticeable improvement in performance in CPU-limited environments.
- Improved add-in load time across MS Office applications.
- When you add the Save As option in Word, Excel, Powerpoint, or Visio to the Quick Access Toolbar, the Save As button now launches the ndOffice Save As dialog box instead of Word's local saving dialog box.
- Optimized the resolution of ndMail/Outlook panels for high-resolution devices. ndMail/Outlook panels now scale appropriately on high-resolution devices and when you adjust the scaling of your monitor to something other than the Recommended setting for your display. It is often the case on high-resolution devices if you set the scaling to something greater than 100%.
- Improved login form performance
- Fixed an issue where a Read-Only profile attribute could be edited/changed via the ndOffice Edit Profile option.
- Fixed an issue where if an upload/creation of a document via ndOffice was interrupted, an empty "shell" document was left in NetDocuments. We now remove this empty shell document so you can more clearly see that the document failed to be created properly. This same cleanup also works for empty "shells" that occur when creating/saving an Adobe document.
- Fixed an issue where if you attempted to profile a document with a profile value that was closed on the same day, ndOffice would let you do so. Now we do not allow profiling a document in ndOffice with a profile value that was closed on the day when you are attempting to profile it. This matches the behavior on the web now.
- Fixed an issue where printing a document via ndOffice logged as if you opened the item in the Consolidated Activity Log. It now logs as a Print action specifically.
- Fixed an issue when browsing for a location in ndMail (which uses the ndOffice Browse dialog box) and Collabspaces were not shown since they cannot be filed to with ndMail. If you want to save an email to a Collabspace, you should use the ND Save button or upload it directly to NetDocuments.
- Fixed an issue where the action to attach a link to an email from the ND Attach button was not logged in the Consolidated Activity Log and the Document History properly.
- Fixed an issue when two Excel files are open and you add a link from one document to another in an Excel cell. After you close the document with the change, the cell reference is changed to point to the ndOffice Echo Backup folder inadvertently.
- Fixed an issue where the Created/Imported By column did not appear on certain dialog boxes even though the user had defined it in their column definitions.
- Fixed an issue with the sample WordAddIn where it would give an error when displaying the Save As dialog.
- Fixed an issue where certain External users using ndOffice could see the membership of an internal group on the Modify Access dialog within the ndOffice interface.
- Fixed an issue where the ND Attach option on an email would fail to convert an Excel file to PDF on Send.
- Fixed an issue where the Save and Save As dialog boxes could be opened when a document was downloaded in Protected View (e.g. downloaded from the internet or a web-based email system). The Save and Save As dialog boxes never worked in these cases but they appeared to. They can no longer be opened unless you Enable Editing to exit Protected View in Word/Excel/PPT.
- Fixed an issue where ndOffice did not start automatically after login for users in a Citrix XenApp environment (may also impact other multi-user environments).
- Fixed an issue in certain cases where if an ndMail user selected Browse (which calls the ndOffice Browse dialog box), the Recent Locations section in the Browse dialog box would spin and fail to load the user's Recent Locations.
- Fixed an issue where editing an attachment in a multi-user environment (e.g. Citrix) would give an error which said Your documents were not renamed and converted to PDF. Please try again.
- Fixed an issue with complex Word documents containing tables and certain formatting where Word would hang/freeze if the doc ID stamping was enabled.
- Fixed an issue where you could not navigate to a workspace that contained certain symbols in the workspace title (e.g. - . \ _ ` | , etc.)
- Fixed an issue in certain cases where the ndMail Browse dialog box (which is an ndOffice dialog box) would display duplicate locations.
- Fixed an issue where using Save As on a document that has a profile attribute which is set to Do Not Copy would input the value from the former document into the Save As dialog box for the new document, thus allowing you to inadvertently save the new document with the former value in the profile attribute which should not be copied.
- Fixed an issue with certain users where the ndOffice Outlook add-in (i.e. ND Save button) was grayed out and could not be used until you disabled the add-in and re-enabled it.
- Fixed an issue with keyboard controls in the lookup dialog where if you selected a value and pressed Enter, the value would not be saved into the profile field. We fixed it so the Enter key now adds the selected value from a lookup table into the field on the details pane.
- Fixed an issue where if a User A emailed a link via the Activity Center to User B and User B selected the Go To link in the email, it would display properly the first time but if User B refreshed the page, it would cause a server error.
- Fixed an issue with ND Compare in Word which would cause the resulting comparison attachment to not be attached to the document if the name and description were both 1,000 characters long.
- Fixed an issue in the ndMail Browse dialog (ndMail calls the ndOffice dialog) where navigating to a location via keyboard controls and pressing the Enter key on that location did not select that location.
- Fixed an issue where Adobe Acrobat DC crashed when you opened the ndOffice Save dialog box without ndOffice running on the machine.
Extensibility API Improvements and Fixes
- Read-only attributes are now supported in the Extensibility API.
- Fixed an issue where the Version Description was not passed into the Save As dialog properly when using the Extensibility API to call the dialog.
- Fixed an issue with the Extensibility API which impacted older versions of the Litera integration.
- Fixed an issue where if the login is canceled, the login page will fail to display on the next login call via the API.
- Fixed an issue where the Save as new version check box is disabled when InitializeAddInMacro > ShowSaveDialogApiCall is called.
- Fixed an issue with the WordAddIn COM object where Error 13 was thrown when updating the docID.
- Fixed an issue with Powerpoint and Excel where certain calls would create two instances of the Save window in BigHand and other integrations.
- Fixed an issue when the ShowExtendedContainerSelectionDialog method was called where attributes were not passed properly when navigating to the selected cabinet.
- Fixed an issue where the Profile Templates drop-down would become disabled if you selected a template that could not be applied.
New registry settings
The default value is null and is treated as True. When set to False, the Save dialog does not display the Security Template dropdown so that users cannot edit the access of the document while saving. In this state, they can merely save with the default access. Note: They can still modify the access on the document after it has been saved.
|The default value is False. Do not launch the EO.WebBrowser in Citrix environment.||
|The default value is False. Control whether Windows embedded web browser should be used for the Fed ID login form.||
|The default value is True. When set to False, the message about 0-byte file size error will not appear, and upload continues.||