|NetDocuments ndMail is the matter-based intelligent email management application — a game-changer — with full cloud architecture built on the NetDocuments Trusted Cloud Platform integrated within Outlook.
NetDocuments in combination with ndMail provides key activities for busy law professionals, for filing emails and documents into a unified, matter-based solution.
|Product Information and Announcements
- User Requirements, Download, and Setup
- ndMail Interface Overview and Navigation
- How to Use ndMail
- Support and Feedback
Attention: To use ndMail, it requires that Microsoft Exchange and ndOffice already set up and functioning in your office by an administrator. If you are an administrator, go to the ndMail Administration topic for administrative requirements and best practices in setting up, configuration, and distributing ndMail to each client endpoint.
The following information is intended for end users.
User Requirements, Download, and Setup
- Microsoft Windows 10 and 7 (64-bit)
- Microsoft Office Outlook 2013, 2016 (32-bit or 64-bit), including Microsoft Office 365 subscriptions
- ndOffice application, version 2.2 and above
- Microsoft Exchange 2013, 2016, Online (Office 365)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 (included in 2019 and 2020 versions of Windows 10)
Download for the client:
In most situations, ndMail is downloaded and installed by an administrator. If you need to install it, download the software:
Install ndMail on the client:
- Before installing, repairing, or uninstalling the ndMail application, you need to close Outlook.
- Ensure the account has administrative rights before installation.
- Obtain the ndMail Install from your administrator.
- Double-click the ndMailSetup.exe, then select Next.
- In the Completed the NetDocuments ndMail Setup Wizard dialog box, select Finish.
ndMail Interface Overview and Navigation
Table of Contents
- The ndMail Predictions Panel
- Primary Strategies for Generating ndMail Filing Predictions
- ndMail Settings
- Outlook Panels
- Relevancy Rank
- The Cabinet Tabs
- Global Filing Indicator
- Collapse or Expand the ndMail Predictions Panel
- ndMail Folder Mapping
- Pause and Start
- ndMail Monitor List
- Notification Settings
NetDocuments is the document and email management in the cloud. With ndMail integrated into Microsoft Outlook, leverage web-scale predictive technologies to file email messages to the correct location seamlessly. For each email, NetDocuments analyzes its content, recipients, attachments, and so on, to predict a set of filing locations where others have previously filed other similar email messages at your organization or on your team. The diagram shows the main ndMail user workflow.
The ndMail User Workflow
ndMail provides an intelligent, firm-wide predictive filing based on key criteria such as To, From, Cc, subject, contents, attachment names, and so on.
Predicted locations are visually ranked, indicating the prediction accuracy to file the email to the best location based on similar emails and documents in your NetDocuments repository.
After installing ndMail and launching Microsoft Outlook, the ndMail predictions panel appears. Also, collapse and expand and move and resize the ndMail predictions panel.
The ndMail Predictions Panel
|1||Relevancy rank. See the prediction accuracy for the predicted locations.|
|2||Rename. Rename an item subject before filing.|
|3||Access. View or edit access to the item you want to file.|
|4||Pinned locations. Show or hide pinned locations.|
|5||Refresh. Click to manually refresh the predicted filing locations.|
Browse. Select other locations for filing. The newly-selected location remains at the top of other predictions on the panel.
|7||Settings. Specify ndMail settings to file an item.
Note: This option is available with 1.1 release.
|8||Collapse/expand chevron icon. Show or hide the predictions panel.|
|9||Search. Search for more locations to file an item.|
|10||The Cabinet tabs. Select the cabinet where you want to file an item.|
|11||Pre-selected location. See the cabinet tabs where the filing location is automatically pre-selected by conversation filing.|
|12||File vs File&Move. Automatically move the filed item to the selected folder when filing.
Note: The File&Move option is available with 1.1 release.
Predictions panel is also available in the French, German, and Spanish languages.
Note: This feature requires ndMail 1.9+ and ndOffice 2.7+.
To view the diagram that illustrates how ndMail predictions panel works, see ndMail diagram.
The Locations to which Emails participating in a Conversation are Filed
When generating predictions for a particular email, ndMail will identify other emails that have been filed which are participants in the conversation thread. ndMail will offer the locations of those emails as recommended filing locations.
The locations to which emails exchanged with a particular user are filed by any user in a cabinet
When an email is filed, ndMail identifies the email address with whom the filing user is interacting and manages a history of where emails related to the opposite party are filed. ndMail will then generate recommendations based on the cabinet users' collective filing history, which will suggest locations based on where emails exchanged with a particular email address have been recently filed.
The locations to which emails are filed for the filing user
When an email is filed, ndMail will manage each user's individual filing history. ndMail will make recommendations based on where a user has recently filed emails.
The locations in which similar documents to the current email are filed
ndMail will make recommendations by looking for filing locations with emails similar to the email for which predictions are being generated. Sender, recipients, attachment names, and subject are taken into consideration when generating predictions.
With 1.1 release, there is a new Settings button in the upper-right corner of the ndMail predictions panel. After selecting it, the ndMail Settings dialog box opens.
The following options are available:
- Select Folder to set up File & Move. When filing, automatically move the filed item to the selected folder. For this, choose the Select folder link, and in the Select Folder dialog box, select the desired location. On the ndMail Predictions Panel, find the File and File & Move drop-down options. The File & Move button automatically moves the filed item out of the current folder and into the selected location.
- Do not move Sent Items. Keep sent items in the Sent Items folder even if File & Move is enabled.
- Prompt to file outgoing messages. Select this check box to see a prompt for selecting the location when sending an item. The prompt only displays the first time the user selects Send and shows up as a red line around the filing panel which blinks three times. After this first prompt, the user can still send the item without filing, if needed, by selecting Send again.
Note: See the additional registry settings to continually prompt them (i.e. force them to file on send)
- Conversation filing. Pre-select the filing location where other emails of the conversation are filed.
- Enable one-click filing. After selecting a filing location, the current email will be filed automatically when the next email is selected.
- Show relevancy rank for predictions. Select this check box to see the relevancy ranking for predictions on the Main and Inspector views of different Outlook items. Relevancy rank tooltip indicates the recent location. Note that in an effort to optimize space, the default in 1.1 is to not show the relevancy rankings.
- Check for updates. View information about your current version and select Check for updates for a new ndMail version as soon as it becomes available. If no new version is available, the corresponding message appears. In case there is a new version, you receive a prompt for installation. Note that your administrator has a right to control version updates. Then, you receive a corresponding notification.
Note: This feature requires ndOffice 2.5.
With the ndMail 1.2 release, NetDocuments panels with navigation tree, documents list, and preview appear in Outlook.
Note: Your administrator must enable the panels in the corresponding registry setting.
Select any folder to view the Documents List.
In the Documents List, you can right-click the filed items, and then select one of the following options:
- Open as read-only
- Open as a new document
- Open as a new version
- Copy link
- Copy ID
- Email link
- Email copy
- Profile details
- Lock document
- Reply all
- Open a version
- Versions and attachments
In case you disable ndMail add-in for your Outlook, the panels are still available.
Next to filing locations, you can see the real prediction accuracy percentage for the location and have visibility on its relevance and make a proper decision on selecting the filing location.
- No lines colored – 0 percent and disabled ranking and also manually-added locations from the Select filing location dialog box or by using the quick search
- One line – 1-19 percent relevancy
- Two lines colored – 20-39 percent relevancy
- Three lines colored – 40-59 percent relevancy
- Four lines – 60-79 percent relevancy
- Five lines ->=80 percent relevancy
Note: With 1.1 release, you can see the "Rank: 0 (Recently used location)" tooltip, in case prediction returned from the server has "0" relevancy rank.
From the Cabinet tabs, select the cabinet to file an item. This cabinet remains selected for the next items to file until you select a new one from the Cabinet tabs. The filing is performed only per selected cabinet.
If you select a location in a particular cabinet but decide to navigate to another cabinet, then the selected location in the previous cabinet is lost.
If there are no cabinets available, the following message appears: The server cannot display filing locations without an active repository. Please contact your administrator.
The global (firm-wide) filing indicator shows items in your mailbox that you or someone else at your organization filed.
Global filing indicator
With 1.6, the GFI process will check all cabinets that you have open as tabs on the ndMail predictions panel and will set the GFI for that item (if it is found to be filed in any of those cabinets). Additionally, if an item is filed in a cabinet that is not the active cabinet tab, a blue checkmark appears on the cabinet tab where the item is filed, as shown below.
Tip: You can leave the ndMail predictions panel collapsed and the GFI will continue to update.
With 1.7, an outlined checkmark appears to indicate the cabinet tabs where the filing location is automatically pre-selected by conversation filing.
When replying or forwarding an email, ndMail pre-selects the location automatically if any emails in the conversation were filed by another NetDocuments user at your organization.
Either collapse or expand the ndMail predictions panel by selecting the icon. Also, set the appropriate value in HKCU hive. Learn More
ndMail folder mapping creates links between Outlook and NetDocuments folders. Any emails filed into a linked Outlook folder is automatically profiled to NetDocuments correctly, which means that you can leverage existing Outlook folders without changing the way you work.
On the Microsoft Outlook ribbon, you can see the ndMail tab.
Note: With 1.6, administrators can force you to map new Outlook folders. In that case, when you create a new folder, the dialog box appears forcing you to map a folder.
Pause and Start
If syncing pauses, the existing items and the items you have moved to this Outlook folder will be added to the queue and will not be uploaded to the NetDocuments Web Interface. Upon selecting Start, syncing will be started and all items will be uploaded to the NetDocuments Web Interface.
ndMail Monitor List
After selecting the ndMail Monitor List button, the Link to NetDocuments dialog box opens.
The following options are available:
- Edit - Click to change the Outlook folder to NetDocuments folder linking. Upon selecting this option, the Link Folder to NetDocuments dialog box opens. You can either unlink the corresponding folder, re-sync it, or edit the previously specified settings by selecting the ellipses button. Note: Select the ellipses button, to open the Select location in NetDocuments dialog box, where you can edit the needed location for folder mapping.
- Unlink - Select to unlink the Outlook folder. Emails from this folder will no longer be automatically copied to NetDocuments.
- Re-Sync - Select to start copying items to NetDocuments from this folder. Two options are available:
- Only emails that have not been copied previously
- All emails (even if they were copied previously)
- Failed Emails - Click this link to view error emails. You can find the information on the error itself, email address, subject, delivery date, and folder path in Outlook.
Note: Right-click the needed folder, and then select Edit/Remove ND Folder Mapping to open the same Link to NetDocuments dialog box.
Select More to get to the following options.
In the Settings dialog box, you can see two tabs: General Setting and Advanced.
After selecting the General Setting tab, you can select the following options:
- Add category "filed to ND" once the item has successfully been uploaded to NetDocuments.
- Display notifications balloon (for errors) in system Tray
- Add/Remove (nd) or customized tag to the end of names of folders linked/unlinked to NetDocuments
After selecting the Advanced tab, you can select the following options:
- Show "ndMail folder Mapping" Folder. The folder where ndMail Folder Mapping stores its settings is currently hidden. You can click this button to show the folder.
- Enable troubleshooting logging - Select this check box to record the troubleshooting logs which you can view by clicking the View Log Folder button.
- Clear Main Queue - Clear the items that are queued for copying to NetDocuments.
- Clear Error List - Clear the error list that has been generated when copying emails to NetDocuments.
After ndMail files an item successfully, with Windows 10, a system notification appears at the far right of the taskbar. Also, view warning messages about errors that might have occurred during the document upload or download. Please note that Windows 7 doesn't have the same notifications due to limitations with the older operating system.
After ndMail files an item successfully to a selected location, the following notification message appears. This message appears for 6 seconds. To view the filed item on the NetDocuments web interface, select View in ND.
If ndMail does not file an item successfully, the following notification message appears for 25 seconds.
If this message appears, check if you:
- Are filing an item to the correct ndMail configured cabinet
- Have properly configured the Exchange Web Service
- Are filing Exchange account emails
Otherwise, contact your administrator, if the problem persists. Learn more to Customize Notification Settings.
How to Use ndMail
- Rename a Subject before Filing an Email
- Access a Filed Item
- Refresh an Email
- Pin Predicted Locations
- Use Outlook Panels
- Search an Item
- Browse for Filing Location
- File an Email to NetDocuments
- File a Conversation to NetDocuments
- Send and File an Email to NetDocuments
- Map ndMail Folders to NetDocuments
- Customize Notification Settings
Rename the subject before filing an item.
To rename an item subject before filing an item
- Select an item to file, and then, in the ndMail predictions panel, select Rename.
- In the edit field that appears, type the name for the selected item, and then select Apply. You can enter up to 200 characters in the edit field.
- To file the item to the needed location, select File.
- To revert changes, press ESC.
- To cancel renaming, press ESC twice, or press ESC, and then select Apply to close the edit mode.
Note: These characters are not supported for renaming: "/\:*?""<>| "
To edit access to the item that you want to file, click the Access option (appear as listed below), select the check box(es) > Apply.
- Default – Inherit access from the selected location. This setting is always selected for each next email to file.
- Me – Only you can access the filed item.
- Participants - The internal sender and internal recipients (To and Cc fields) of the email have access to the filed item in NetDocuments.
Hover over Participants or Me, and the Only button appears. To clear other check boxes, select Only. Note that your administrator may disable the Me only filing option.
An automatic refresh occurs after entering or changing the subject for a new email, adding recipients to To and Cc fields, or adding attachments.
Note: On automatic refresh, changes are not lost, except changing a recipient in the Bcc field, as Bcc recipients are not factored into predictions or access.
On the ndMail predictions panel, select Refresh to manually refresh the predicted filing locations. After selecting Refresh, a notification message appears informing that the selected location, subject renaming, or the modified access reverts to default values.
Pin Predicted Locations
With ndMail 1.9, you can pin a location to the top of the predictions panel.
To pin a location, hover over the prediction and select the Pin icon that appears. This prediction will now stay at the top of your list.
You can have up to 5 pinned locations for each cabinet.
If you want to hide the pinned locations, in the upper-right corner, select the orange pushpin icon.
This will allow standard predictions to fill in your prediction panel.
Use Outlook Panels
Note: This feature requires ndOffice 2.5.
Collapse, expand, and resize the Navigation Tree panel. Additionally, you can resize all Outlook panels.
To add a new folder, go to the Documents List and select the icon.
To go to Workspace, in the Documents List, select the icon.
Above these icons, you can search documents within a chosen folder or cabinet.
Select the icon and choose the criteria for your search.
You can search documents by:
- Document Name
- Document ID
- Created By
- Modified By
Additionally, you can select the Advanced Search option.
To switch back from Folder View to your emails list, select the icon at the top of the panel.
To preview a document, select it in the Documents List of the Outlook panel.
To open a document, select the document name. Here you can also view a document version number and document ID on a document Reading Pane.
To switch back from the Reading Pane to your email, select the icon at the top of the panel.
With ndMail 1.4, drag both email messages and their attachments to the Navigation Tree panel. After you drag the attachment to the Navigation Tree, the ndOffice Save dialog box prompts you to fill in the required profile fields (if applicable to the location that you file to).
Search an Item
Search for the created filters, folders, and workspaces with keywords to find a location where you want to file a message, even if it is not shown on the predictions panel by default. Search appears as an icon that expands after selecting. The cursor automatically pops into the search field when you open it. To delete the entered value, you can press ESC.
Note: Enter up to 200 characters in the search field.
Your Favorite and Recent workspaces appear immediately when you open the search field in a workspace-based cabinet.
Your recently used locations appear in a separate section below the search results.
- From the Cabinet tabs, select the needed cabinet, which you can access.
- Select Browse.
- In the Select filing location dialog box, navigate to the needed folder > Select.
The Select Filing Location Dialog Box
- Search for a filing location by:
- Location Name
- Location ID
- Created By
- Modified By
- (optional) In the Select filing location dialog box, to create a new folder, select Add Folder or to find a workspace select Go to Workspace > Select.
- After filing an item, the predicted filing locations appears for the next item. Find the recent filing locations in the predictions panel for a new message so that you can later file this message to the needed location.
To file an existing item, select a location and select the File button. To save time, you can file multiple items at the same time to the same selected locations. You can file together with any items: emails, meetings, receipts (read, delivered), and meeting responses (accepted, declined, tentative).
Note: File up to 25 items at once.
To view the needed location in NetDocuments, right-click the selected location, and then select Go to location in ND. Also, select View in ND on the notification message that appears after you have successfully filed an item.
With 1.1 release, you can also view the full path of a location, right-click it, and then select View full path. When you select this option, a background process runs to fetch the full path. You'll notice the ellipsis (...) scrolling while this happens, and then the path will be cached as a tooltip on your machine any time that location comes up as a prediction in the future.
Also, with 1.1 release, the prompt that appears as a red line around the filing panel that blinks three times. It displays the first time you select Send. After this first prompt, select Send again if you still want to send the item without filing, if needed. To see this prompt, select the Prompt to file outgoing messages checkbox in the ndMail Settings dialog box. For more information, see ndMail Interface Overview.
File a Conversation to NetDocuments
With 1.7, after you file one email in the conversation, ndMail can automatically pre-select the same NetDocuments location for all items in this conversation.
Best Practice Note: Conversation filing automatically selects a filing location without any user interaction and, as such, we recommend it for power users or users who are trained on its functionality.
If one-click filing is disabled, then select the File button to file the pre-selected item.
If one-click filing is enabled, then after you move away from the email, ndMail files the email to the pre-selected location.
ndMail provides one-click filing through machine learning by predicting the best filing locations. To file a new item, simply select a location and click Send. The item will be automatically filed when it is sent. Note, drafts can't be filed because they haven't been sent.
To Send and File a New Email
- To write a new message, select New Email (or Reply or Forward an email).
- Draft and review the email message, and then select a filing location.
- Select Send.
The email message is filed to the selected location.
Note: You can also send and file a meeting.
Use ndMail to Map Outlook Folders to NetDocuments
ndMail Folder Mapping creates links between Outlook and NetDocuments folders, workspaces, and filters. Any item filed into a linked Outlook folder is automatically profiled to NetDocuments correctly, which means that you can leverage existing Outlook folders without changing the way you work.
- Install the ndMail Folder Mapping by running the ndMail .exe installer, and open Microsoft Outlook.
If prompted, enter your NetDocuments username and password.
- Right-click the needed folder in the Outlook, and then select Map Folder to ND.
- In the Select location in NetDocuments dialog box, select the folder you want to link to in NetDocuments, and then select OK.
- In the Link Folder to NetDocuments dialog box, specify the following options, as needed:
- Access – Allows access to the items synced from this folder to NetDocuments.
- Default – Inherit access from the selected folder.
- Me – Only you can access the synced item.
- Participants - The internal sender and internal recipients (To and Cc fields) of the email have access to the synced item in NetDocuments.
- Delete emails from Outlook after successful upload - Deletes your emails from the mapped folder after successful upload to NetDocuments.
- Link (unmapped) subfolders too – Allows the syncing of all sub-folders to the mapped folder in NetDocuments.
- Copy pre-existing emails too – Copies all pre-existing items from the Outlook folder to NetDocuments.
- After specifying the needed options, select Link. The corresponding message appears notifying you about the successful mapping to the selected folder.
With ndMail 1.4, you can map folders from a delegate or shared account. The steps are the same as mapping your Outlook folders. Only the mapping creator can edit it.
Note: Both the mailbox owner and the delegate need Folder Mapping 1.0.7025 (installed by default with ndMail 1.4 .exe).
ndMail 1.4 prompts you to map a new folder to NetDocuments after creation. This is optional and you can disable it via a registry setting.
When you create a folder in Outlook, the dialog box appears:
With ndMail 1.7, the Clean Mappings option appears. It helps you when troubleshooting issues or cleans up old mapped folders.
Go to ndMail tab > More > Folder Mapping Settings > Advanced > Clean Mappings. The process will run and will identify the following common scenarios if they exist among your mapped folders:
- If your settings are set to append (nd) or some other value at the end of mapped folders' names, the Clean Mappings function will identify if any of the mapped folders have had that suffix removed or modified so you can add it back if desired.
- If any unmapped folder has the (nd) suffix after it, the Clean Mappings function will identify it for you so you can fix it, if desired.
- If a user has permanently deleted an Outlook folder that was previously mapped, Clean Mappings will identify it so you can remove/repair the mapping.
When you select Clean Mappings, the following dialog box appears:
Each row in the table corresponds to one Outlook folder where one of the above issues was identified. You can either go fix those issues or remove the row from this table if you do not want to fix the issue and don't want it identified as an issue in the future.
Customize Notification Settings
After an item has been successfully filed, a system notification appears at the far right of the taskbar. You can also see warning messages about errors that might have occurred during the document upload or download.
After an item has been successfully filed to a selected location, the following notification message appears. This message is shown for 6 seconds. To view the filed item in NetDocuments, click View in ND.
If an item has not been filed successfully, the following notification message appears. It is shown for 25 seconds.
You need to check whether:
- You are filing an item to the correct cabinet that has been configured for ndMail.
- You have properly configured the Exchange Web Service.
- You are filing emails that are associated with your Exchange account.
Otherwise, you need to contact your administrator, if the problem persists.
In Windows 10, do the following to customize notification settings:
- Select Start, and then select Settings.
- Select System, and then select Notifications & actions.
- Under Get notifications from these senders, click NetDocuments ndMail.
- Under NetDocuments ndMail, specify the following notification settings:
- Notifications – Turn on or off the ndMail notification messages.
- Show notification banners – Show or hide notification messages in the notification area.
- Keep notifications private on the lock screen – Show or hide notification messages when the screen is locked.
- Show notifications in action center – Turn on or off the notification messages in the action center.
- Play a sound when a notification arrives –Turn on or off the notification message sound.
- A number of notifications visible in actions center – Specify how many notifications appear.
- Priority of notifications visible in action center – Set the priority of notifications from ndMail.
Windows 7 does not support the same customizable notifications because these are a feature of the Windows 10 OS.
Support and Feedback
If you have any feedback, questions, or issues, submit a request via our support site or call the closest customer support center:
- US customers, call 801-226-6882 or 866-NET DOCS (638-3627)
- EU customers, call +44(0) 2034.55677
- AU customers, call +61 2 8310 4319
We thank you for your input and feedback. We value you as a customer.
The NetDocuments Team