Table of Contents
- First-time User Tour
- Creating and Joining Workspace Threads
- Leaving Threads
- Inviting Other Users to a Workspace
- Favoriting and Leaving Workspaces
- Direct Messages
- Documents in a Thread
- Editing, Deleting or Copying a Message
- Other Features
- Logging Out
First-time User Tour
When you access ndThread for the first time, a pop-up message appears offering to show a quick tour through the most important features.
To proceed with the tour, click Next. You can also click Skip, and come back to the tour later. To view the user tour later, go to the Profile menu and select Start App Tour.
Creating and Joining Workspace Threads
Make sure to join ndThread workspaces that correspond to the NetDocuments workspaces in which you are actively involved.
On the Navigation Bar, select the icon to open the Workspaces tab.
Unless your colleagues invited you to a workspace, this message appears on the Workspaces tab:
Select the Join Workspaces button.
Alternatively, to join the workspace:
- Go to the Workspaces tab and click the icon.
- In the search box, type search terms (client, matter, or matter number).
- Press Enter. The NetDocuments workspaces you have access to appear as search results.
- Select Join next to every workspace you want to access in ndThread, so that you can participate in conversations about those workspaces.
- Select Close.
When you join a workspace, by default you have access to all the public threads in that workspace. Select any of the workspaces you joined and the selected workspace appears above the list of workspaces.
A public Team thread is created by default for all workspaces. Any internal user who has access to the workspace can access the Team thread too.
Select the “#/#” information at the top, and the list of users appears on the side, including which ones are online and which ones are offline:
You can create new public or private threads inside the selected workspace by clicking the icon and selecting Create a Thread.
To create a private thread, select Private check box, then in a drop-down list select users who can access this thread and click Create.
If you want to join or re-join the thread, click the icon to the right of your selected workspace, then select Join a Thread. A list of the public threads in the workspace appear:
If you join a conversation that exists for some time, you are able to see the whole history of conversations no matter how big it is.
For some workspaces, the number of available threads may grow quite large or there may be some threads that you do not want to participate in. For those situations, you are able to leave a thread that you don’t want to appear on your list or do not want to receive notifications. Hover over a thread, click the icon, and then click Leave Thread:
Inviting Other Users to a Workspace
If some of your team members did not join the workspace conversation, invite them by selecting the icon to the right of the selected workspace and select Invite Users to Workspace. Then, choose users who have access to the NetDocuments workspace and add them to the ndThread workspace. You add them to every public thread in the workspace by default.
Favoriting and Leaving Workspaces
You usually access some workspaces more often than the others. In that case, you have the ability to mark a workspace as a favorite. Hover over the workspace name, click the icon, and then select Favorite Workspace. Favorited workspaces always appear at the top of the workspaces list.
To remove a workspace from the favorite list later, hover over the workspace name, click the icon, and then select Unfavorite Workspace.
If you do not want to participate in the workspace anymore, click the icon, and then click Leave Workspace. The workspace no longer appears in your list of ndThread workspaces and you do not receive further notifications from of any of the threads in the workspace.
To start a conversation with another user, go to the Navigation Bar, select the Direct Messages icon, and then select the icon. In the search box, type a user name, select the needed user, and then click OK.
To remove a direct message from the list, hover over the direct message and select the (x) button. You do not delete a direct message. It disappears from the list only. If you need to find that direct message later for any reason, select the Start a Direct Message button and type in the name of another user who participated in that message.
Documents in a Thread
Uploading a Document
In the typing area, click the icon, and then select Upload document. Select the needed document and click Open.
Alternatively, you can drag the needed document to the typing area.
In the Upload dialog box, type a document name, select one or several threads for referencing the document, and select the destination folder. Then click Save:
The uploaded document is saved directly in NetDocuments.
To access the documents, go to a workspace list and select the needed workspace. Then, select Documents and click to open the document you need.
Sending NetDocuments Links
If you copy and paste a NetDocuments link into ndThread, a file component is displayed similarly to how it works for ndThread documents and document links:
Commenting on a Document
Select the document you need to preview.
Then, highlight the text you want to comment on by clicking it. In a pop-up dialog box, type your comment and click Post.
If you add comments to a document version, you have a possibility to lock the version of the document first, to ensure that any comments added to specific parts of a document continue to point to the same location.
Editing, Deleting or Copying a Message
After adding a message, you can copy a link to the message, edit it, or delete it later by hovering over it and selecting the needed icon.
You are able to edit and delete only the messages you added. An edited message appears with an edited note.
A deleted message is replaced with [Deleted message].
- To view a user's details, select the User Avatar icon.
- To upload a different profile picture, select Browse... and choose an image stored on your computer. If you do not upload your picture, the avatar is default.
- To search for messages, click the icon in the upper-right corner and enter a keyword. Your search results are divided into messages and documents.
- To edit the last message you sent, press the Up Arrow key on the keyboard.
- To mention a user in a conversation, enter @ and select the needed user from the list. Alternatively, go to the icon in the typing area, and select the Mention Someone button.
- Enter @all to notify everyone in the thread.
- To add a link to an existing document, go to the icon in the typing area, and select the Link to a Document button.
- To add a new document, go to the icon in the typing area, and select the Upload Document button.
- To add an emoticon, click the icon in the typing area and choose the needed one.
- You can also paste a link to a website, and then ndThread shows some helpful context about the website:
To log out of ndThread, go to the Profile menu and click Logout. The following message with two options appears:
To fully log out, select Click here to logout of NetDocuments.