NetDocuments is the document and email management in the cloud. With ndMail integrated into Microsoft Outlook, leverage web-scale predictive technologies to file email messages to the correct location seamlessly. For each email, NetDocuments analyzes its content, recipients, attachments, and so on, to predict a set of filing locations where others have previously filed other similar email messages at your organization or on your team.
The diagram shows the main ndMail user workflow.
The ndMail User Workflow
* email, meetings (with recipients), meeting cancellations, accepted meetings requests, declined meeting requests, tentative meeting requests, read receipts, delivered receipts, undelivered receipts
ndMail provides an intelligent, firm-wide predictive filing based on key criteria such as To, From, Cc, subject, contents, attachment names, and so on. Predicted locations are visually ranked, indicating the prediction accuracy to file the email to the best location based on similar emails and documents in your NetDocuments repository.
After installing ndMail and launching Microsoft Outlook, the ndMail predictions panel appears.
The ndMail Predictions Panel
|1||Relevancy rank. See the prediction accuracy for the predicted locations.|
|2||Rename. Rename an item subject before filing.|
|3||Access. Edit an access to the item you want to file.|
|4||Refresh. Click to manually refresh the predicted filing locations.|
|5||Search. Search for more locations to file an item.|
|6||Browse. Select other locations for filing. The newly-selected location remains at the top of other predictions on the panel.|
|7||The Cabinet drop-down. Select the cabinet where you want to file an item.|
|8||Collapse/expand chevron icon. Show or hide the predictions panel.|
|9||File. File an email to the selected location(s).|
Next, to filing locations, you can see the real prediction accuracy percentage for the location and have visibility on its relevance and make a proper decision on selecting the filing location.
- No lines colored – 0 percent and disabled ranking and also manually-added locations from the Select filing location dialog box or by using the quick search.
- One line – 1-19 percent relevancy
- Two lines colored – 20-39 percent relevancy
- Three lines colored – 40-59 percent relevancy
- Four lines – 60-79 percent relevancy
- Five lines ->=80 percent relevancy
Rename the subject before filing an item.
To rename an item
- Select an item to file, and then, in the ndMail predictions panel, click Rename.
- In the edit field that appears, type the name for the selected item, and then click Apply. You can enter up to 200 characters in the edit field.
- To file the item to the needed location, click File.
- To revert changes, press ESC.
- To cancel renaming, press ESC twice, or press ESC, and then click Apply to close the edit mode.
NOTE: These characters are not supported for renaming: "/\:*?""<>| ".
You can edit access to the item you want to file. The following options are available:
- Just Me – Only you can access the filed item. For an email filed with the Just Me option, after clicking Refresh, by default, this file is selected for the next filing.
- Default – Inherit access from the selected location. This setting is always selected for each next email to file.
An automatic refresh occurs after entering or changing the subject for a new email, adding recipients to To and Cc fields, or adding attachments. The automatic refresh also works after closing a new item or a meeting response.
NOTE: On automatic refresh, do not factor in predictions or access when changing a recipient in the Bcc field.
Manually refresh the predicted filing locations by clicking Refresh on the ndMail predictions panel. After clicking Refresh, a notification message appears informing that the selected location, subject renaming, or the modified access reverts to default values.
Search for the created filters, folders, and workspaces with keywords to find a location where you want to file a message, even if it is not shown on predictions panel by default. To delete the entered value, you can press ESC.
NOTE: Enter up to 200 characters in the search field.
From the Cabinet drop-down menu, select the cabinet to file an item. This cabinet remains selected for the next items to file until you select a new one from the Cabinet drop-down menu. The filing is performed only per selected cabinet.
NOTE: If you select a location in a particular cabinet but decide to navigate to another cabinet, then the selected location in the previous cabinet is lost.
If there are no cabinets available, the following message appears: "The server cannot display filing locations without an active repository. Please contact your administrator."
- From the Cabinet drop-down menu, select the needed cabinet which you can access.
- Select Browse.
- In the Select Filing Location dialog box, navigate to the needed folder, and then click Select.
The Select Filing Location Dialog Box
4. Search for a filing location:
- Location Name
- Location ID
- Created By
- Modified By
5. (optional) In the Select filing location dialog box, create a new folder by clicking Add Folder or find a workspace by clicking Go to Workspace, and then click Select.
After filing an item, the predicted filing locations appears for the next item. Find the recent filing locations in the predictions panel for a new message so that you can later file this message to the needed location.
To file an existing item, select a location and click the File button. To save time, you can file multiple items at the same time to the same selected locations. You can file together with any items: emails, meetings, receipts (read, delivered), and meeting responses (accepted, declined, tentative).
NOTE: File up to 25 items at once.
To view the needed location on the NetDocuments web interface, right-click the selected location, and then click Go to location in ND. Also, select View in ND on the notification message that appears after you have successfully filed an item.
In the notification area, Find the blue envelope icon showing that the ndMail application is currently running. To exit the application, right-click the icon, and then select Close.
To view the needed location on the NetDocuments web interface, right-click the selected location, and then select Go to location in ND. Also, select View in ND on the notification message that appears after you have successfully filed an item.
ndMail uses prediction analytics to file and send an item in one step. You cannot file an unsent item. To file a new item, you need to select a location, and then click Send. In this case, an item is automatically filed when sent.
To Send and File a New Email
- To write a new message, click New Email (or Reply or Forward an email).
- Draft and review the email message, and then select a filing location.
- Click Send.
The email message is filed to the selected location.
NOTE: Send and file a meeting.
The global (firm-wide) filing indicator shows filed items in your mailbox you or someone else at your organization filed.
Global filing indicator
You can either collapse or expand the ndMail predictions panel by clicking the icon. You can also set the appropriate value in HKCU hive. For more details, refer to the tables below.
The ExplorerPanelExpanded Registry
In HKEY_CURRENT_USER (HKCU) hive, set the appropriate value to collapse the expanded predictions panel on the Outlook reading pane.
True is the default value. ndMail remembers user changes.
NOTE: Value from the HKLM hive has a higher priority.
True (this setting is default)
Predictions panel expands on the main or inspector view in Outlook.
Predictions panel expands on the main or inspector view in Outlook.
The InspectorPanelExpanded Registry
Set this registry to False under Software\NetDocuments\ndMail root on either HKEY_CURRENT_USER or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
If the value False, then the predictions panel collapses on the inspector view in Outlook.
True (this setting is default)
Also. customize the location of the ndMail predictions panel by dragging it to the top, bottom, left, or right side of the Outlook reading pane. Similarly, you can set the InspectorPanelLocation registry value (the inspector view) or ExplorerPanelLocation registry value (the main Outlook view) in the HKCU hive. For more information, refer to tables below.
The ExplorerPanelLocation Registry
In HKCU hive, set the appropriate value to change the location of the predictions panel on the main Outlook view.
This is a setting for the default value. ndMail remembers user activies. The user can move the ndMail prediction panel to the needed location.
10 – TopReadingPane
11 – BottomReadingPane
12 – LeftReadingPane
13 – RightReadingPane
1 – TopSubpane
2 – BottomSubpane
The InspectorPanelLocation Registry
In HKCU hive, set the appropriate value to change the location of the predictions panel in the inspector Outlook view.
This is a setting for the default value. NdMail remembers User changes. You can move the panel by clicking the ndMail top row and dragging it to other location.
1 – INSPECTOR_TOP_SUBPANE
3 – INSPECTOR_RIGHT_SUBPANE
4 – INSPECTOR_LEFT_SUBPANE
ndMail Folder Mapping
ndMail folder mapping creates links between Outlook and NetDocuments folders. Any emails filed into a linked Outlook folder is automatically profiled to NetDocuments correctly, which means that you can leverage existing Outlook folders without changing the way you work.
To Map Outlook Folders
- Install the ndMail folder mapping application, and restart Outlook.
- If prompted, enter your NetDocuments username and password.
- Right-click the needed folder in the Outlook, and then select Add Outlook to ND link.
- In the Select location in NetDocuments dialog box, select the folder you want to link to in NetDocuments, and then select OK.
- In the Link Folder to NetDocuments dialog box, specify the following options as needed:
- Copy emails as private – Set a property on the items synced from this folder so that only you can view it in your NetDocuments repository.
- Link (unmapped) subfolders too – Allows the synching of all sub-folders to the mapped folder in NetDocuments.
- Copy pre-existing emails too – Copies all pre-existing items from the Outlook folder to NetDocuments.
After ndMail files an item successfully, a system notification appears at the far right of the taskbar. You can also see warning messages about errors that might have occurred during the document upload or download.
After ndMail files an item successfully to a selected location, the following notification message appears. This message appears for 7 seconds. To view the filed item on the NetDocuments web interface, select View in ND.
If ndMail does not file an item successfully, the following notification message appears. It appears for 25 seconds.
Check whether you are:
- Filing an item to the correct ndMail configured cabinet.
- Properly configured the Exchange Web Service.
- Filing Exchange account emails.
Otherwise, contact your administrator, if the problem persists.
In Windows 10, do the following to customize notification settings:
- Select Start, and then select Settings.
- Select System, and then select Notifications & actions.
- Under Get notifications from these senders, click NetDocuments ndMail.
- Under NetDocuments ndMail, specify the following notification settings:
- Notifications – Turn on or off the ndMail notification messages.
- Show notification banners – Show or hide notification messages in the notification area.
- Keep notifications private on the lock screen – Show or hide notification messages when the screen is locked.
- Show notifications in action center – Turn on or off the notification messages in the action center.
- Play a sound when a notification arrives –Turn on or off the notification message sound.
- A number of notifications visible in actions center – Specify how many notifications appear.
- Priority of notifications visible in action center – Set the priority of notifications from ndMail.