Table of Contents
- The ndMail Predictions Panel
- Primary Strategies for Generating ndMail Filing Predictions
- ndMail Settings
- Relevancy Rank
- The Cabinet Drop-down
- Global Filing Indicator
- Collapse or Expand the ndMail Predictions Panel
- ndMail Folder Mapping
- Notification Settings
NetDocuments is the document and email management in the cloud. With ndMail integrated into Microsoft Outlook, leverage web-scale predictive technologies to file email messages to the correct location seamlessly. For each email, NetDocuments analyzes its content, recipients, attachments, and so on, to predict a set of filing locations where others have previously filed other similar email messages at your organization or on your team. The diagram shows the main ndMail user workflow.
The ndMail User Workflow
ndMail provides an intelligent, firm-wide predictive filing based on key criteria such as To, From, Cc, subject, contents, attachment names, and so on.
Predicted locations are visually ranked, indicating the prediction accuracy to file the email to the best location based on similar emails and documents in your NetDocuments repository.
After installing ndMail and launching Microsoft Outlook, the ndMail predictions panel appears.
The ndMail Predictions Panel
|1||Relevancy rank. See the prediction accuracy for the predicted locations.|
|2||Rename. Rename an item subject before filing.|
|3||Access. Edit an access to the item you want to file.|
|4||Refresh. Click to manually refresh the predicted filing locations.|
|5||Search. Search for more locations to file an item.|
|6||Settings. Specify ndMail settings to file an item.
Note: This option is available with 1.1 release.
|7||Browse. Select other locations for filing. The newly-selected location remains at the top of other predictions on the panel.|
|8||Collapse/expand chevron icon. Show or hide the predictions panel.|
|9||The Cabinet drop-down. Select the cabinet where you want to file an item.|
|10||File vs File&Move. Automatically move the filed item to the selected folder when filing.
Note: The File&Move option is available with 1.1 release.
To view the diagram that illustrates how ndMail predictions panel works, see ndMail diagram.
The locations to which emails participating in a conversation are filed
When generating predictions for a particular email, ndMail will identify other emails that have been filed which are participants in the conversation thread. ndMail will offer the locations of those emails as recommended filing locations.
The locations to which emails exchanged with a particular user are filed by any user in a cabinet
When an email is filed, ndMail identifies the email address with whom the filing user is interacting and manages a history of where emails related to the opposite party are filed. ndMail will then generate recommendations based on the cabinet users' collective filing history, which will suggest locations based on where emails exchanged with a particular email address have been recently filed.
The locations to which emails are filed for the filing user
When an email is filed, ndMail will manage each user's individual filing history. ndMail will make recommendations based on where a user has recently filed emails.
The locations in which similar documents to the current email are filed
ndMail will make recommendations by looking for filing locations with emails similar to the email for which predictions are being generated. Sender, recipients, attachment names, and subject are taken into consideration when generating predictions.
With 1.1 release, there is a new Settings button in the upper-right corner of the ndMail predictions panel. Upon clicking it, the ndMail Settings dialog box opens.
The following options are available:
- File & Move. When filing, you can automatically move the filed item to the selected folder. For this, you need to click the Select folder link, and then, in the Select Folder dialog box, select the desired location. On the ndMail predictions panel, you will see additional button options: File and File & Move. The File button continues to work as before, but the File & Move button automatically moves the filed item out of the current folder and into the selected location.
- Prompt to file outgoing messages. Select this check box to see a prompt for selecting the location when sending an item. The prompt only displays the first time the user clicks Send and shows up as a red line around the filing panel which blinks three times. After this first prompt, the user can still send the item without filing, if needed, by clicking Send again.
Note: See the additional registry settings to continually prompt them (i.e. force them to file on send)
- Enable one-click filing. After selecting a filing location, the current message will be filed automatically when the next message is selected.
- Show relevancy rank for predictions. Select this check box to see the relevancy ranking for predictions on the Main and Inspector views of different Outlook items. Relevancy rank tooltip indicates the recent location. Note that in an effort to optimize space, the default in 1.1 is to not show the relevancy rankings.
Next to filing locations, you can see the real prediction accuracy percentage for the location and have visibility on its relevance and make a proper decision on selecting the filing location.
- No lines colored – 0 percent and disabled ranking and also manually-added locations from the Select filing location dialog box or by using the quick search
- One line – 1-19 percent relevancy
- Two lines colored – 20-39 percent relevancy
- Three lines colored – 40-59 percent relevancy
- Four lines – 60-79 percent relevancy
- Five lines ->=80 percent relevancy
Note: With 1.1 release, you can see the "Rank: 0 (Recently used location)" tooltip, in case prediction returned from the server has "0" relevancy rank.
From the Cabinet drop-down menu, select the cabinet to file an item. This cabinet remains selected for the next items to file until you select a new one from the Cabinet drop-down menu. The filing is performed only per selected cabinet.
Note: If you select a location in a particular cabinet but decide to navigate to another cabinet, then the selected location in the previous cabinet is lost.
If there are no cabinets available, the following message appears: "The server cannot display filing locations without an active repository. Please contact your administrator."
The global (firm-wide) filing indicator shows filed items in your mailbox you or someone else at your organization filed.
Global filing indicator
You can either collapse or expand the ndMail predictions panel by clicking the icon. You can also set the appropriate value in HKCU hive. Learn More
ndMail folder mapping creates links between Outlook and NetDocuments folders. Any emails filed into a linked Outlook folder is automatically profiled to NetDocuments correctly, which means that you can leverage existing Outlook folders without changing the way you work. Learn More
After ndMail files an item successfully, a system notification appears at the far right of the taskbar. You can also see warning messages about errors that might have occurred during the document upload or download.
After ndMail files an item successfully to a selected location, the following notification message appears. This message appears for 6 seconds. To view the filed item on the NetDocuments web interface, select View in ND.
If ndMail does not file an item successfully, the following notification message appears for 25 seconds.
If this message appears, check if you:
- Are filing an item to the correct ndMail configured cabinet
- Have properly configured the Exchange Web Service
- Are filing Exchange account emails
Otherwise, contact your administrator, if the problem persists. Learn more to Customize Notification Settings.