The 16.3 Update will be released at the following times:
US datacenter: September 29, 2016 at 11:59 PM US Eastern time.
EU datacentre: September 29, 2016 at 10:00 PM London time.
AU datacentre: September 30, 2016 at 2:00 AM Australian Eastern Time.
Items listed in these Update Notes are subject to change prior to the actual Update being released.
User Update Notes
Highlighted changes for 16.3
New Folder Searching
We are still in the process of updating all folders to the new folder format. Once that process has completed, toward the end of 2016, you will be able to search within folders. Learn more about Upgrading a Folder.
Searching Within a Filter or a Saved Search
You can also now search within a filter or Saved Search, by selecting the filter or Saved Search and then going to the Simple Search or the Advanced Search page and performing the search. The criteria for the filter or the Saved Search will be automatically included into the search criteria.
Refreshing a Workspace
You now have an option, where you have rights, to perform a refresh on a workspace that will retain all custom data and only refresh the template-based data (filters and Saved Searches). This replaces the previous Reset option, which did not allow you to retain custom data when you reset the workspace.
Auto-created folders and template folders will be preserved because these items may have subfolders in them. Web pages will also not be replaced.
Embedded links in MS Office apps
Previous to this update, users who opened NetDocuments links that were embedded into an Office file (docx, xlsx, etc.) were taken to IE in compatibility mode, which directed the user to our ND2 mobile interface. With this fix, users are no longer switched to Compatibility Mode.
Universal Links for iOS
When links to documents and folders are opened on iOS devices, the user will be taken to the iOS app to open the item. If the user does not have the app installed, they will be directed to the Apple App Store to download the free NetDocuments app. This functionality will be available when the next version of the iOS app is available from the app store.
Upload Email Messages
Using the Upload button, email messages (msg and eml files) imported from the Windows environment will be parsed in the same way as if they had been filed via EMS in Outlook. The message's header information (Sent By, Sent Date, etc.) including attachments, will be parsed and displayed in list views. Because items uploaded are processed as a batch, users will not be able to upload msg and eml files together with other file types. Users will be prompted to remove all email messages or remove all other file types.
NOTE: This functionality will initially be available only when using the ActiveX in Internet Explorer. Email message parsing in other browsers or upload methods may be supported in the future.
Additional Folder Sort Options
Users now have additional options for sorting folder contents. Under Folder Options > Default Sort Order, users can sort by Created Date, Created By, and file extension.
Please make sure you refresh your browser using Ctrl+F5 to clear any old cache after the Update.
See below for information about updating add-ins, such as ndOffice.
Administrator Update Notes
The following information is for system administrators.
Group Management Page
Administrators will see a new UI for managing user groups. This new design is available on the repository and cabinet administration pages.
Administrators will have all the usual features available to them in this new easy-to-use table.
Dynamic Saved Search Criteria on Workspace Templates
Administrators can now define dynamic Saved Search criteria on workspace templates. For example, a firm might have a matter #0000 that is a general workspace for the client. An administrator can define a Saved Search on the template that searches for documents based on the workspace's parent (client) key. The administrator then only needs to define one Saved Search on a template, and each workspace then will have a Saved Search with its own unique criteria that displays documents from the client's general matter on all other matters for that client.
Local Document Service
A new version of the Local Document Service has been developed using the REST APIs. This version will be available for Beta testing in October, and will be released for production use by the end of 2016.
The LD Service provides an on-premises backup of a firm's data. The new version is SQL-based rather than directory based, and offers an intuitive UI for configuring and managing the LD Service. It offers options for multiple thread connections. As with the previous version, documents are encrypted in transit using https, but are not encrypted at rest unless the firm implements their own encryption solution. Documents downloaded and managed by the LD Service reside outside of NetDocuments' custody.
New customers who wish to use this service should plan to install the new version, while existing customers using the older version may remain on that version while they prepare to transition. Smaller firms may be able to install the new LD Service and easily download all content again without issue. Larger firms may need to make plans to transition more gradually.
Encryption Key Management
These features will be available to customers by the end of 2016.
These features will be available to customers by the end of 2016.
Beta Testing Information
The Beta testing period for 16.3 starts September 10, 2016. See our Beta Announcement for more information. As always during a beta test, issues may be found which may require us to adjust the actual release date of the Update.
ndOffice customers only: ndOffice 2.0 is scheduled to be released in the weeks following the 16.3 Update. For information on the 2.0 version release schedule, refer to the ndOffice Update Notes when they are available early in October when the beta starts .
ndOffice Adobe integration - An integrated add-in for Adobe is now available with ndOffice 1.8+.
ndOffice IP/Court Filing - An integrated add-in for IP and court websites is now available with ndOffice 1.9+.
Planned Updates Following 16.3
For your planning purposes, the next Update for NetDocuments (Update 17.1) is planned for January/February 2017. We will inform you if this schedule changes as we get closer to the date. We are providing this information to assist you as much as possible in your planning and administration of the NetDocuments Service for your organization.
End of Life Information
The legacy Application Integrations add-on will no longer be supported as of September 30, 2017. Users who are still using this software will need to replace it with the current ndOffice version at that time to continue to be supported.
The NetDocuments Briefcase and Auto Import features will no longer be supported after July 31, 2018.
Please review the Announcements section for EOL for other software and components.
All new or updated NetDocuments client software, except ndOffice 2.0, can be installed during the week prior to the release of 16.3 or can be installed after the Update to ensure that the most recent version is installed. (Any previous versions of these add-ins should be removed prior to updating them). You should install the latest version of the client software so that you have the most up-to-date and bug-free software.
Please refer to the Update and Beta Procedures article in the Announcements section for more detailed information on the update process at NetDocuments.
Please check the information below on the newest versions of other client software with this Update. We strongly recommend that you update all client software. All client software other than ndOffice should be updated no sooner than one week prior to the Update.
As with all of our client software, we only support the latest version available. We strongly recommend that you download and install the latest version of each add-in client that you are using.
Prior versions will NOT be supported and use of them may result in errors or possibly data loss in some instances. If you experience an issue with an updated version, please contact NetDocuments Support. If you are using an older version and experience issues, please understand that changes and fixes will be provided only for the most recently released version. If you encounter problems with a previous version, you will be required to update the software to resolve the issue.
If you are working with Support related to a bug, you can get information related to the bug's status from your Support Case. Because of this normal interaction with Support, we do not describe all of the bugs that have been fixed in an Update. You can also verify a bug fix with the new Update by accessing the beta and testing it to see whether an issue has been fixed or not. For the client software, however, we do include major changes and major bug fixes to assist you when installing and implementing the new software.
For current versions of client software not listed below, please see the Download Help page. All available downloads and add-ins can be found under the Downloads and Integrations section.
- ndOffice - ndOffice 2.0 [see the ndOffice 2.0 beta announcement and Update Notes for detailed information] - supports Office 2010, SP2, 32-bit; Office 2013, 32-bit & 64-bit; and Office 2016, 32-bit & 64-bit. ndOffice 2.0 will be released in early November 2016. We recommend that all customers using ndOffice update to the 2.0 version, when it becomes available. You can download the new version from the Download Section in Help. We recommend that you initially deploy ndOffice to a small group of users to make sure it functions properly in your environment prior to installing it for all of your users. Users who already have an earlier version of ndOffice installed will be prompted to install the update automatically (if notifications are enabled and are allowed by the Administrator.)
- NOTE: ndOffice version 1.6+ requires Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 or newer. Learn more about Updating ndOffice.
- EMS Profiler – version 2.1.8 - No changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- EMS Folders - version 3.5.4 - No changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- ndOneClick for Windows - version 188.8.131.52 - Provides functionality to automate opening and editing of documents when not using ActiveX.
- ndOneClick for Mac - version 184.108.40.206 - Provides functionality to automate opening and editing of documents when not using ActiveX.
- ndSync for Windows - version TBD - Provides functionality to synchronize NetDocuments with a local folder.
- ndSync for Mac - version TBD - Provides functionality to synchronize NetDocuments with a local folder.
- iOS App for iPad and iPhone - Standard Version 2.1.14 - available on the App Store - includes bug fixes. It also includes a new viewer for msg files. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- iOS App for iPad and iPhone - ND for Good Technology Version 2.1.14 - available on the App Store. See changes above. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- ndGmail - version TBD - Includes bug fixes and minor improvements.
- Desktop Scanner Connector - version 220.127.116.11 - This is used for scanning with TWAIN drivers. If you use this tool, you should install the newest version.
- Local Document Server - version 3.7.9 - No changes. We recommend that you update to this newest version, if you are using the LD Server software.
- Folder Import tool - version 3.9.3 - Bug fixes. If you use this tool, you should install the newest version.
- Mass Import tool - version 18.104.22.168 - Bug fixes. Additionally, the ndImport.exe is now signed. This is to prevent some issues where ndImport was being blocked by Windows Defender. If you use this tool, you should install a new version each time you use it, to ensure you have the latest version.
- Application Integrations – [ No new changes ] - version 2.2.6 - You should deploy ndOffice instead of this add-in. This add-in will be replaced by ndOffice within a few months.
- Adobe Integration – [this has been replaced by ndOffice 1.8+] The older stand-alone integration is no longer supported when using ndOffice. If you need a copy, please refer to Help downloads. The ndOffice integrations supports Acrobat and Reader versions 11 and 12 (DC).
- REST - Administrators can disable federated identity for an individual user
Support and Feedback
Comments, questions, suggestions, and problem reports are all welcome. Contact us at 1-866-NET-DOCS (638-3627) or email@example.com.
When reporting a problem, please provide:
- Fully-detailed description of the problem, including the exact error message or screen shots
- Detailed steps to reproduce the issue
- Error logs (if any)
We thank you for all of your input and feedback and we appreciate your using the NetDocuments Service.
The NetDocuments Team