We are excited to announce the next Update for the NetDocuments Service, which is planned for the following times:
US datacenter: February 18, 2016 at 11:59 PM US Eastern time (4:59 AM London or 04:59 UTC).
EU datacentre: February 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM London time (22:00 UTC).
AU datacentre: February 19, 2016 at 4:00 AM Australian Eastern Time (17:00 UTC).
The 16.1 beta testing period starts January 28, 2016. See our Beta Announcement for more information. As always during a beta test, issues may be found which may require us to adjust the actual release date of the Update.
No ActiveX Install Required for 16.1
An ActiveX update is NOT required for the 16.1 Update.
Planned Subsequent Update 16.2
For your planning purposes, the next Update for NetDocuments (Update 16.2) is planned for May 2016. The 16.2 Update WILL require an ActiveX Update. We will make the new Active X available when the beta starts for 16.2. We will inform you if this schedule changes as we get closer to the date. We are providing this information to assist you as much as possible in your planning and administration of the NetDocuments Service for your organization.
ndOffice customers only - ndOffice 1.8 is scheduled to be released during the latter part of March 2016. Refer to the ndOffice Update Notes for information on the 1.8 version release schedule. Learn more about ndOffice.
ndOffice Adobe integration - An add-in for Adobe will also be available as beta as part of ndOffice 1.8 and will be released as a standard part of ndOffice after the NetDocuments 16.2 Update.
Discontinuance of older .NET software - ndOffice 1.8 version does not support older versions of the Microsoft .NET software. The release of ndOffice 1.8 requires .NET version 4.5.2 or newer. We recommend all customers install the new .NET as soon as can be done, because Microsoft is discontinuing the older versions of .NET as of January 2016. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/framework_faq
Below are many of the changes that have been made. There have also been many changes to the underlying system in preparation for more visible changes in upcoming Updates.
Items listed in these Update Notes are subject to change prior to the actual Update being released.
Loading Folder Lists - Items in folders are now loaded on an “as needed basis.” In other words, the contents of the folder will load on the page only as the user scrolls down through it, but the first 70 items of a folder will be displayed immediately. Each time the user reaches the bottom of the page, an additional 50 items will be loaded. For example, if a user goes to a folder with 1000 items in it and scrolls to the bottom, they will be taken to the bottom of the 70 currently loaded documents, and an additional 50 documents will be loaded. This will repeat as the user continues to scroll through the documents. The user may see the “loading content” message—much like before.
HTML view of email attachments - users now have the ability to view attachments to emails in the Viewer, rather than download the e-mail. NOTE: This feature will not be available in beta, but will be available to all users after 16.1.
Workspace summary – Workspace summary views now have two equal-width columns rather than column size based on the length of the names of the workspace contents.
Administrative Activity Log - Additional actions have been added to the log related to Administrators enabling or disabling a cabinet.
Secure Delivery views and downloads – These actions are now added to the Consolidated Activity Log when a recipient of the secure link views or downloads the document. The email address to which the link was sent and the IP address of the user who viewed it will be included in the log.
Copy Secure Document Link – Users can now copy the secure delivery link to their clipboard while having the desktop email integration enabled. In 15.3, we added the ability to send an HTML-formatted email through Outlook, and we removed the ability to copy the link. We have added that capability back so users can either copy the link or send the Outlook email.
ndOneClick - The ndOneClick feature is released with the 16.1 Update. This feature is designed to give users a one-click method to automatically check out documents without the ActiveX add-on for IE. It is available for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, on both Windows and Mac OS. It is also available on Edge for Windows 10. Learn more about ndOneClick.
Federated Identity for external domains - Repositories that use federated identity with an identity provider can now use external domains to provision new users.
ndOffice Extensibility API – “NetDocuments OneDesk” - We’ve rewritten the APIs for third party vendors to share the same common UI of ndOffice within their apps. As of now, the program is called NetDocuments “OneDesk” - bringing the cloud to legal desktop apps!
ndGmail - The Gmail extension has been released from its beta phase. Learn more about the Gmail Extension.
Note: When we changed the full-text search late last year, we determined that the Search Analysis option was not functioning properly. The option will be removed with 16.1 and replaced with a new Search Refinement pane in the next Update. In a future Update, the search analysis (full-text extraction) will be re-instated.
Please make sure you refresh your browser with Ctrl+F5 to clear any old cache after the Update.
All NetDocuments client software can be installed during the week prior to the release of 16.1 or can be installed after the Update to ensure that the most recent version is installed. (Any previous versions of these add-ins should be removed prior to updating them). You should install the latest version of the client software so that you have the most up-to-date and bug-free software.
Please refer to the Update and Beta Procedures article in the Announcements section for more detailed information on the update process at NetDocuments.
Please check the information below on the newest versions of other client software with this Update. We strongly recommend that you update all client software. All client software other than ndOffice should be updated no sooner than one week prior to the 16.1 Update.
As with all of our client software, we only support the latest version available. We strongly recommend that you download and install the latest version of each add-in client that you are using.
Prior versions will NOT be supported and use of them may result in errors or possibly data loss in some instances. If you experience an issue with an updated version, please contact NetDocuments Support. If you are using an older version and experience issues, please understand that changes and fixes will be provided only for the most recently released version. If you encounter problems with a previous version, you will be required to update the software to resolve the issue. If you are working with Support related to a bug, you can get information related to the bug's status from your Support Case. Because of this normal interaction with Support, we do not describe all of the bugs that have been fixed in an Update. You can also verify a bug fix with the new Update by testing a feature to see whether an issue has been fixed or not. For the client software, however, we do include major changes and major bug fixes to assist you when installing and implementing the new software.
For current versions of client software not listed below, please see the Download Help page. All available downloads and add-ins can be found under the Downloads and Integrations section.
- ActiveX - [ No new changes ] - msi version 2.1.6 - (includes neWebcl.dll - NeRemoteDoc Class v 220.127.116.11 and ndCrypto.dll - NetDocuments Cryptography Class v 18.104.22.168) - the 16.1 Update does NOT require a new version of the ActiveX add-on for Internet Explorer.
- ndOffice - ndOffice 1.7.4 [see the ndOffice 1.7.4 Update Notes for detailed information] - supports Office 2010, SP2, 32-bit; Office 2013, 32-bit; and Office 2016, 32-bit. ndOffice 1.8 will be released later in March 2016. It will support 32-bit Office 2010, and 32-bit and 64-bit Office 2013 and Office 2016. We recommend that all customers using ndOffice update to the 1.8 version when it becomes available. You can download the new version from the Download Section in Help when it is available. We recommend that you initially deploy ndOffice to a small group of users to make sure it functions properly in your environment prior to installing it for all of your users. Users who already have an earlier version of ndOffice installed will be prompted to install the update automatically (if notifications are enabled and are allowed by the Administrator.)
- NOTE: ndOffice version 1.6+ requires Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 or newer. Learn more about Updating ndOffice.
- Application Integrations – [ No new changes ] - version 2.2.6 - If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version. You should deploy ndOffice, instead of this Add-in if you have not yet deployed this Add-in.
- EMS Profiler – version 2.1.8 - Fixed issue so it will not hang if the SOAP APIs login call returns an HTML error. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- EMS Folders - version 3.5.4 - Fixed issue so it will not hang if the SOAP APIs login call returns an HTML error. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - Standard Version 2.1.11 - available on the App Store - includes bug fixes. It also includes a new viewer for msg files. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - ND for Good Technology Version 2.1.11 - in review at the App Store and should be available within the next couple of weeks. See changes above. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- Local Document Server - version 3.7.9 - Various bug fixes. We recommend that you update to this newest version, if you are using the LD Server software.
- Desktop Scanner Connector - version 22.214.171.124 - This is used for scanning with TWAIN drivers. No changes were made to this software.
- ndOneClick for Windows - Windows version 126.96.36.199 - Provides functionality to automate opening and editing of documents when not using ActiveX.
- ndOneClick for MAC - MAC version 188.8.131.52 - Provides functionality to automate opening and editing of documents when not using ActiveX.
- Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner integration - version 1.0 - available for any ScanSnap with ScanSnap manager software. No change to this software. This can be downloaded from the Help Download page.
- Adobe Integration – version 184.108.40.206 - Supports Acrobat and Reader versions 10, 11, and 12 (DC). Various bug fixes. Download the Adobe plug-in. This Add-in will be replaced when the ndOffice integration is released after 16.2.
- Folder Import tool - version 3.9.2 - Bug fixes. If you use this tool, you should install the newest version.
- Mass Import tool - version 220.127.116.11 - Bug fixes. If you use this tool, you should install a new version each time you use it, to ensure you have the latest version.
- REST - Allow removing the date value of a custom date field that is set to default to the current date
- REST - New workspace folder appears in the top-level folder list temporarily
- REST - Checked out By on list view now
- REST: Implement partial profile resolving
- REST: Change the criteria for inclusion in the RECENTLY SELECTED list
- REST: Refresh Workspaces
- REST: Get Workspace Documents List
- REST: Retrieve document metadata and version list together
- REST: Expose email attributes in search results
- REST: Undelete a document
- REST: Expose the ability to view a message attachment
- REST: Add ACL to lists
Support and Feedback
Comments, questions, suggestions, and problem reports are all welcome. Contact us at 1-866-NET-DOCS (638-3627) or [email protected].
When reporting a problem, please provide:
- Fully-detailed description of the problem, including the exact error message or screen shots
- Detailed steps to reproduce the issue
- Error logs (if any)
We thank you for all of your input and feedback and we appreciate your using the NetDocuments Service.
The NetDocuments Team