Resending the Update Notes -
The next Update of the NetDocuments Service will be available on February 5, 2015, beginning at 11:59 PM Eastern time for the US datacenter. For the EU datacenter, the Update will commence on February 5, 2015 at 10:00 PM London time. The 15.1 beta period will begin January 15, 2015. See our Beta Announcement for more information.
The 15.1 Update DOES require an update to the ActiveX control. The ActiveX Update will be available three weeks prior to the release of the Update at the time the Beta is available on January 15, 2015. We recommend that you install the ActiveX at your convenience after the beta starts on January 15, 2015, so that you have it installed for all users prior to the release of the 15.1 Update on February 5, 2015. See below for version information.
Also, last April 13, 2014, we discontinued supporting Windows XP and IE8 since Microsoft no longer supported that environment. That environment will not work at all with 15.1 because the underlying code structure has been revamped.
Please check the information below on the newest versions of other client software with this Update. All new versions of client software should be updated. All client software other than the ActiveX and ndOffice can be updated one week prior to the 15.1 Update. ndOffice can be install as soon after the Update as is convenient.
Several exciting changes are included in the 15.1 Update as described below. We encourage you to become acquainted with the changes, so you are ready when the Update is released. You are also welcome to beta test the 15.1 Update starting on January 15, 2015.
Items listed in these Update Notes are subject to change prior to the actual Update being released.
New Advanced Search Design - The Advanced Search options have been redesigned and streamlined. Users now have flexibility in what they display and use on the Advanced Search page. As part of this design, the Tab key now skips over the lookup dialog button to go to the next available search field. Users can use F2 to open the lookup dialog. We suggest that you consider providing training or other resources for this change.
If you are a Repository Admin and you want to set a repository-wide default for the new Search page for all of your users, you should set that prior to the Update. Any user who logs in after the default is set, will use that repository default. Each user can then set their own default if they choose. If a repository default is not set prior to the user accessing the Advances Search page, it will use the standard Service default.
We have provided links here for Help resources and tutorial videos to assist you:
Default Number of Items in a Search Result - Users can now change the default number of items in a search result. Users can choose to display 10, 20, or 50 items. Go to Settings > Application Settings to set your default.
ndOneClick - Beta - The newest iteration of the ndOneClick function will now be available for the Windows and Mac environments. This Windows and Mac client software functions at the OS level and supports all of the non-ActiveX supported browsers (Chrome, Firefox, and Safari). ndOneClick provides functionality similar to what the ActiveX provides in the Internet Explorer browser as it relates to checking out and checking in documents using a single click. If you use a browser other than IE, we suggest that you install this client software to enhance your usage of NetDocuments. This software is still being labeled as Beta until we can do more testing on the latest bugs. We expect that to be completed prior to 15.2.
After you install the ndOneClick software, whenever you click a document name in NetDocuments, it will automatically open the document and after you finish editing the document, you can close and check it in by clicking one of the green Check-In buttons to complete the process. You no longer need to manually save a document locally, edit it, and then manually upload your changes.
The ndOneClick software also includes the Print option in the same way it is available with the ActiveX control in the IE environment.
To download the ndOneClick software go to Settings > Application Settings as shown below.
If you are using IE as your browser, you should still use the ActiveX to provide this functionality. If you have the ActiveX installed when using IE, the ndOneClick option will not be visible on the Application Settings page.
ndOffice version 1.4 - (beta) The newest version of ndOffice now includes changes for increased performance and increased robustness Due to key changes that have been made, this new version should be used in place of any version of ndOffice previously installed. This will be the officially-supported version when it is released. Version 1.4 beta is available now and the release of version 1.4 is expected shortly after the official 15.1 Update. If you have installed the previous application integrations, please make sure you remove that, prior to installing ndOffice.
User Interface related changes
There are several other changes listed below, as well as several bug fixes being made available in this Update.
Please make sure you refresh your browser with Ctrl+F5 to clear any old cache after the Update.
- To quickly create a new version of the official version, you can now use a menu option to quickly create and open the new version. The option is called "Check Out as a New Version" and it is only available from the customizable right-click menu.
- HTML emails are now supported when sending document links, so that you can still access other Outlook functions. This does not apply to sending email copies. This feature requires the ActiveX and Office 2010 or 2013.
- Using WebDAV as a mapped drive, users can upload documents from NetDocuments to a court website or USPTO website. Learn More
- The User Report now includes AM/PM designation with the time.
- Gmail messages can now be added to NetDocuments with a connector option in the Gmail app.
- For Administrators, we now show Yes next to a user's name in the User Report to designate if that user has Federated Identity enabled.
- The My Email link at the top of the page previous to the 15.1 Update, always showed all of your email for the cabinet displayed in the Simple Search bar. Also previous to the 15.1 Update, My Email at the top only showed your emails related to the workspace displayed in the Simple Search instead of the complete cabinet with which the workspace is associated. If you want to see your email for a specific workspace now, you can click the My Email option in the left navigation pane while the workspace is open.
All NetDocuments client software can be installed at the same time as the Update or can be installed following the Update to ensure that the most recent version is installed. (Any previous versions of these add-ins should be removed prior to updating them). You should install the latest version of the client software so that you have the most up-to-date and bug-free software.
As with all of our client software, we only support the latest version available. If you experience any issues with the updated versions, please contact NetDocuments Support. If you are using an older version and experience issues, changes and fixes will be provided only for the most recently released version. If you encounter problems with a previous version, you will be required to update the software to resolve the issue. If you are working with Support related to a bug, you can get information related to the bug's status from your Support Case. Because of this normal interaction with Support, we do not include all of the bugs that have been fixed. You can also verify with the new Update whether an issue has been fixed or not in this Update. For the client software, however, we do include major changes and bug fixes to assist you when installing and implementing the new software.
For current versions of software that are not listed below, please see the related Help page. All available downloads and add-ins can be found under the Downloads and Integrations section.
- ActiveX - msi version 2.0.6 - (includes neWebcl.dll - NeRemoteDoc Class v 22.214.171.124 and ndCrypto.dll - NetDocuments Cryptography Class v 126.96.36.199) - the 15.1 Update requires a new version of the ActiveX add-on for Internet Explorer. We recommend that you install the Active anytime after the beta starts so you have it installed before the Update on February 5, 2015. Learn how to Install the ActiveX
- ndOffice - ndOffice 1.4 - supports Office 2010, SP2, 32-bit and Office 2013, 32-bit. You can download the software from Settings. We recommend that you initially deploy ndOffice to a small group of users to make sure it functions properly in your environment prior to implementing it for all of your users. Users who already have an earlier version of ndOffice installed will be prompted to install the update automatically (if they have notifications turned on.)
- Application Integrations – version 2.2.5 - No changes were made since the last update. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- EMS Profiler – version 2.1.4 - Contains various bug fixes including fixing an error when using IMAP. Now supports proxy configuration via a registry key. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- EMS Folders - version 3.5.0 - Now supports proxy configuration via a registry key. You can now right click on a NetDocuments EMS folder and go directly to the actual folder in NetDocuments. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - Standard Version 1.5.11 - available now - includes bug fixes. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - ND for Good Technology Version 1.5.4 - available now - includes bug fixes. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- Local Document Server - version 3.7.3 - new fields added previously can now be accessed via the HTTP API. The docUpdate file persists now by having a unique name with the date/time stamp in the name. We recommend that you update to this newest version, if you are using the LD Server software.
- Desktop Scanner Connector - version 188.8.131.52 - this is used for scanning with TWAIN drivers. No changes were made to this software.
- Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner integration - version 1.0 - available now for any ScanSnap with ScanSnap manager software. This can be downloaded from the Help Download page.
- Adobe Integration – version 3.3 - Supports Acrobat and Reader versions 10 and 11. Various bug fixes and support for additional languages is now provided. Download the Adobe plug-in here.
- Folder Import tool - version 3.9.0 - No changes have been made since the last Update. If you use this tool, you should install the newest version.
- Mass Import tool - version 184.108.40.206 - Various bug fixes including allowing log files to be viewed while the process is running. Responses longer than 64KB are now supported for those firms with a large number of groups. Also included is a fix related to security with non-interactive login. Lastly, a new column called EMAIL ATTACH is now supported that allows users to parse the email's attachments. If you use this tool, you should install the newest version.
- REST - accessing ACL for Cabinet Inbox now works properly
- REST - ability to retrieve only open table values.
- REST - Cabinet level EMS Settings are now available
- REST - background uploading of lookup tables
- REST - alerts can now be suppressed. The default is to send an alert.
- REST - now returns items in folders alphabetically to minimize additional processing.
- Interactive API provides the ability now to display a document using the Viewer component
- SOAP - Provides support for unicode in lookup tables now
- SOAP - ability to retrieve parent and child attribute values in one call - 500 at a time.
- SOAP - can now get contents from the Cabinet Inbox.
Support and Feedback
Comments, questions, suggestions, and problem reports are all welcome. Contact us at 1-866-NET-DOCS (638-3627) or email@example.com.
When reporting a problem, please provide:
- Fully-detailed description of the problem, including the exact error message or screen shots
- Detailed steps to reproduce the issue
- Error logs (if any)
We thank you for all of your input and feedback and we appreciate your using the NetDocuments Service.
The NetDocuments Team