14.3 Release Notes
The next Update of the NetDocuments Service is planned to be released on the evening of July 24, 2014, beginning at 11:59 PM Eastern time for the US datacenter. For the EU datacenter, the Update will commence on July 24, 2014 at 10:00 PM London time. The 14.3 beta period will begin July 3, 2014. See our Beta Announcement for more information.
The 14.3 Update requires an update of the ActiveX control. We recommend that the ActiveX be installed prior to the Update at the time which best suits your schedule. We highly recommend that you install it prior to the Update on July 24th. If you have installed it prior to the July 24th date, your users will NOT be prompted to install it on that date. If you have NOT pre-installed the ActiveX, then your users will be prompted to install it when 14.3 is released on July 24, 2014.
The ActiveX control can be downloaded prior to the July 24th 14.3 Update from this link:
Also, in case you may have missed it with the previous Update, we ceased support for Windows XP, Office 2003, IE 8 and previous IE versions. With this 14.3 Update if you are using IE8, you will be re-directed to the ND2 limited interface in the same way as previous versions of IE do. We are forced to discontinue support because a number of functions will not work and the new modern browsers require us to use new development software which no longer supports the older browsers. We also have ceased support for Adobe 8 and 9 - both Reader and Acrobat.
Please check below for information on the newest versions of other client software with this Update.
With this 14.3 Update a couple of the changes are highlighted below. (items listed below are subject to change prior to the Update.)
1. More Profile Templates The 14.3 Update includes the capability to have up to 20 profile templates. They are displayed in a dropdown pick list as shown below:
2. Sticky panes When you now change the left navigation pane width or the document details/preview pane width, they will stay in that width until you change them again on the same computer. You can double-click on the bar for either pane and the width will return to the default width.
3. ndOneClick (Beta) This is a new Windows client software that we are making available as a beta at the time 14.3 is released on July 24th. It will then be able to be installed and used with any of the 4 supported browsers and provides a functionality similar to what the ActiveX does in the Internet Explorer browser. We suggest that you install it after the 14.3 Update is released. Some components of it are still being developed prior to the Update. After you install it, whenever you click a document name in NetDocuments, it will open the document and after you finish editing the document, you can close it and check in your edits. You no longer have to manually save a document locally and edit it and then upload your changes manually when using a non-ActiveX IE browser.
After you upload the document changes, you will need to click the green check-in button to complete the process. You can also use the Print function when this client software is installed. This client software will be an official release with the 14.4 Update, but can be used now as a beta if you choose.
You can download it by going to Settings > Application Settings as shown below.
Because it is at the operating system level it works with any of the supported browsers. We do however recommend if you are using IE as your browser, that you still use the ActiveX to provide that same document automation capability. If you have the ActiveX installed, this option shown above will not be available on the Application Settings page. The ndOneClick client software will be made available on Mac OS in 2015.
See our Help for more information on ndOneClick: http://help.netdocuments.com/ndOneClick/
There are several other notable changes listed below, as well as several bug fixes being made available in this Update.
Please make sure you refresh your browser with Ctrl+F5 to clear any old cache after the Update.
We thank you for all of your input and feedback and we appreciate your using the NetDocuments Service.
The NetDocuments Team
User Interface related changes
- Lightboxes are now movable by the user
- The width of the Navigation pane and the Details pane are now sticky across sessions
- You can now open a link in an email as View only (unless the email was sent via Outlook using the Desktop Email Integration)
- The person who requested a Follow is now shown
- When opening a large folder, an indicator stating "Loading content" will appear at the bottom of the page until the folder's content has completely loaded.
- NetDocuments now handles eml files the same as msg files. Wherever msg files are displayed, eml type files will also display, such as on the My Email page or an Email Only search
- Federated Identity now supports Okta, OneLogin and other providers who follow the SAML 2.0 standards
- Log document profile changes in the consolidated activity log
- Log access changes in the consolidated activity log
- Admin can now set a maximum expiration date for secure document links being sent
- Comments/Notes are now included in the LD Server
- Doc ID is now appended to files downloaded to the LD Server to prevent duplicate document names
- Access to Office Online can be enabled or disabled via the Cabinet Admin page
All client software can be installed at the same time as the Update or can be installed following the Update to ensure that the most recent version is installed. We highly recommend that you always install the latest version of the client-side software so that you have the most up-to-date and bug-free software. For current versions of software that are not listed below, please see the related Help page.
- Active X - version 2.0.2 - a new ActiveX is required for this Update.
- ndOffice - officially released today, June 26, 2014. ndOffice requires that you install the new ActiveX to function properly. ndOffice supports Office 2010, SP2, 32-bit. It will support Office 2013, 32-bit in September 2014. You can download the software now along with the required ActiveX, from the ndOffice Help page. We recommend that you deploy ndOffice to a small group of users in your environment to make sure it functions properly for you prior to implementing it for all your users. Anytime you install ndOffice prior to the 14.3 Update, you will need to make sure you have also installed the 14.3 ActiveX. Since the ActiveX will be installed for all users when the 14.3 Update is released, this requirement will no longer exist for ndOfifce following the Update.
- Application Integrations – version 2.2.3 - No changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, we recommend you install the newest version.
- EMS Profiler – version 2.0.5 - This software was changed to fix some bugs. EMS Profiler does not prompt users to login if Outlook is offline. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, we recommend you install the newest version.
- EMS Folders - version 3.4.4 - This software was changed to fix some bugs. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, we recommend you install the newest version.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - Standard Version 1.5.9 - available now - includes bug fixes. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - ND for Good Technology Version 1.5.9 - available now - includes bug fixes. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- Local Document Server - version 3.6.3 - fixed a number of bugs. Doc ID is now appended to each document. This software has been updated with other bug fixes. Notes/Comments can now be included in the downloads.
- Desktop Scanner Connector - version 184.108.40.206 - this is used for scanning with TWAIN drivers. No changes were made to this software.
- Adobe Integrations – version 2.6 - Supports Acrobat and Reader versions 10 and 11. If you are using version 8 or 9, please keep a copy of the old integrations if needed, however be aware that we do not support the older versions. If you are using the Adobe integrations, we recommend that you use this new version because various bug fixes were made. Go to Settings > Application Settings to access the Marketplace link to download and install this add-on.
- Folder Import tool - version 3.8.8 - this tool has been updated with various bug fixes. If you use this tool, we recommend that you use the new version.
- Mass Import tool - version 220.127.116.11 - .eml files imported via the Mass Import Utility are now parsed as email messages similar to .msg files. Various bug fixes. If you use this tool, we recommend that you use the new version.
- REST - Document attachment functions are now available
- REST - allow filing existing documents to a workspace
- REST - provide ability to link documents
- REST - option to add access token to the URL
- REST - provide email deduping when an email is imported via REST
- REST - Create a user
- REST - Delete from the deleted items list