NetDocuments may use different terminology than your previous DMS causing some confusion when discussing NetDocuments functions and how to find features. This is a visual aid to help users better understand what functions are behind their actions in NetDocuments.
You can also use this as a reference guide when submitting a support case so you may better understand the questions Technical Support Engineers are asking.
Navigation Pane: Allows you to navigate to other cabinets, workspaces, and folders.
Matters (workspaces): Shows a list of either your recently visited Matters, or your Favorited Matters.
- Quick Search: When running a search using this from a Workspace page, the search scope will be limited to the current Client/Matter.
Matter Selector (Go to a matter...): By typing in this box or clicking the ellipsis, users can search for Workspaces in the selected cabinet (1). If you have 2 search bars here you have a parent/child relationship with Client/Matter or other naming convention your organization is using. If one box appears here then there is not a parent/child relationship.
Workspace Name - the name is generally a combination of the Client/Matter names.
- Expand/Collapse: Allows you to expand or collapse all containers on the workspace summary view.
Switch Workspace View: Shows the items either in a List View format or a Summary format. List view can be used to view all Documents/Email in the Workspace in one list.
Workspace Options Menu - various options are available such as emailing a link to a workspace.
Customize Workspace: Options to change the layout of the Workspace, the Workspace Name, or add a description.
- Email Workspace Link: This provides a quick email link to users to allow them to easily navigate to a Workspace.
Workspace Organizing Filter - this container is created automatically by the system to display documents related to a particular attribute (document type).
- Workspace Saved Search: Saved Searches are typically profiled with the workspace attributes, but can also be modified to use custom search criteria. This customization can cause confusion when using Saved Searches on workspaces. Workspace Filters (11) are recommended when deploying the use of workspaces. Saved Searches are used for special searches such as documents created by one person.
Workspace Folder: Folders are typically profiled with the workspace attributes, but can also be modified. This customization can cause confusion when using both Folders and Filters on workspaces and is not advised. Workspace Filters (11) are recommended when deploying the use of workspaces.
- ShareSpace: A collection of documents that are shared externally.
Favorite Document: When the gray star is clicked, the document will appear on your Home Page and under Favorite Documents for quick access. An orange star indicates the item is already on the Home Page.
Users with "A" (Administer) rights will see two additional menu options:
Delete the Workspace: All containers will be deleted with this action; Filters, Saved Searches, ShareSpaces, and Folders. Items which are contained within these top-level containers will not be deleted as they will remain profiled with the Client/Matter information. All workspace filters which are part of the Workspace Template will be re-created when the workspace is created again. This is one reason we advise against the use of both Filters and Folders on Workspaces.
Refresh the Workspace: This will refresh the workspace to include any changes to the workspace template. All custom-created Saved Searches and Folders and ShareSpaces will be preserved. All filters will be deleted and re-created based on the template settings. Any new items from the template will be added to the workspace.