This article outlines how to set your Hosts file to the desktop in Windows 7 and 8 so it can be easily changed, in cases when you want to access a NetDocuments beta server.
Windows 7 and 8:
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
- Highlight then right-click on the "hosts" file and select Create Shortcut. This will paste a shortcut to the Desktop
- Right-click on the new Desktop shortcut of the hosts file and select Properties.
- Under the Shortcut tab delete the Target field and paste "C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts"
- In the same Shortcut tab click the Advanced button and check the box next to Run as Administrator.
- Click OK to close the box then Click APPLY on the main hosts - Shortcut box.
Now, when you double click on the hosts - Shortcut icon it will ask to verify that the program is being allowed to make changes, indicating when you now make changes to the host file it will effect the entire system.
Below are the common IP address configurations. These are subject to change AT ANY TIME!
- using the ## in front of any text will make it invalid
##188.8.131.52 eu.netdocuments.com #UK Bet
##184.108.40.206 eu.netdocuments.com #EU
##220.127.116.11 vault.netvoyage.com #beta