14.2 Release Notes
The next Update of the NetDocuments Service is planned to be released on the evening of May 1, 2014, beginning at 11:59 PM Eastern time for the US datacenter. For the EU datacenter, the Update will commence on May 1, 2014 at 10:00 PM London time. The 14.2 beta period will begin April 10, 2014. See our Beta Announcement for more information.
Please check below for information on the newest versions of the client software.
Among several changes, there are two items we wanted to highlight.
1. Release of ndOffice The new Office integration called ndOffice will be available the latter part of May, however, if you want to beta test it, you can go to Help to download a copy following the 14.2 Update. The ndOffice integration is not an official part of the 14.2 Update, but we are describing it here to let you know its status. ndOffice is a new Microsoft Office integration that more seamlessly works with Office 2010 SP2; Word, Excel and Powerpoint. The ndOffice software also includes a replacement of the current Outlook integration (NetDocs Save and NetDocs Attach buttons) as an integral component. Office 2013 will be supported mid-year 2014. The current Office integrations can continue to be used by current customers, but we recommend that if you are running Office 2010 SP2, that you start testing the new ndOffice in your environment any time you are ready after the release of 14.2. You can then switch your organization to ndOffice when it makes sense for your organization. It is not required that all users move to this new software at the same time and we encourage you to test it well in your environment before implementing it to ensure that it functions properly in your environment especially if you have any custom integrations such as Doc ID stamping add-ons.
See our Help for more information on ndOffice: http://help.netdocuments.com/ndoffice/
ndOffice provides a simple and intuitive way to access your documents. When a user saves a new document, they will see a dialog similar to a Windows Explorer dialog:
2. Microsoft Office Online The 14.2 Update includes an option to open and edit documents using Microsoft Office Online. You can also create new documents by using the New option and selecting the appropriate Online editor. This requires you to have a Microsoft account such as Outlook.com, OneDrive, Office 365, etc. If you don't have a Microsoft account, the easiest way to obtain one is to sign up for an Outlook.com account. This new feature will work with any of the 4 supported browsers and will also work on Windows and Mac operating systems. After editing your document and closing it, you will be asked to check it in. You can also create a new document using Office Online when selecting the New button in NetDocuments. This is a new feature and we will be fine-tuning it as we learn more about its usage.
See our Help for more information on using Office Online: http://help.netdocuments.com/online-editor/
Users have the option to create a new blank online document:
To edit an existing document, use the right click menu and select Open with > Online Editor. You will then be prompted to login to your Office Online account.
There are several other notable changes as listed below, as well as several bug fixes available in this Update.
This Update does NOT require a new ActiveX Update.
Please make sure you refresh your browser with Ctrl+F5 to clear any old cache.
We thank you for all of your input and feedback and we appreciate your using the NetDocuments Service.
The NetDocuments Team
User Interface related changes
- Users can Create or Edit documents using the Office Online capability.
- The column header row is now locked when scrolling down a list view page
- When users go to a workspace, the List View and Summary Views are now sticky, so it remains in that view until the user changes it back on the same computer
- The Cc: field in email messages can now be defined as a column in the Email List view
- The text on the Display Format dialog is improved for added clarity
- Users can now sort by file extension by clicking the header icon over the document icon column
- NetDocuments now handles eml files the same as msg files. Wherever msg files are displayed, eml type files will also display, such as on the My Email page or an Email Only search.
- The following actions will be recorded in the Consolidated Activity log:
- Deleted documents
- Email Link and Email Copy
- Creating a new document
- Locking a version
- Creating a new version of a document
- The version # when logging the "Print" function
- Downloading the consolidated activity log report has been improved
- Ability to access a beta server via a URL (rather than a host file change). See our Beta Announcement for more information.
- This is not intended to be used for beta testing our client-side software. To do that, you should continue to set your host file to a beta server.
- Search functionality for users who are members of many security groups has been optimized.
- The Mass Export Tool can now download a workspace, excluding Saved Searches.
All client software can be installed at the same time as the Update or can be installed following the Update to ensure that the most recent version is installed. We highly recommend that you always install the latest version of the client-side software so that you have the most up-to-date and bug-free software. For current versions of software that are not listed below, please see the related Help page.
- ndOffice - although not an official part of the 14.2 Update, this new Office integration beta software will be available via the Help, Download page following the release of 14.2. It supports Office 2010, SP2, 32-bit. It will support Office 2013 mid-year 2014.
- Application Integrations – version 2.2.3 - No changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, we recommend you install the newest version.
- EMS Profiler – version 2.0.2 - This software was changed to work better with the new SAML authentication introduced in the last Update. EMS Profiler does not prompt users to login if Outlook is offline. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, we recommend you install the newest version.
- EMS Folders - version 3.4.2 - This software was changed to work better with the new SAML authentication introduced in the last Update. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, we recommend you install the newest version.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - Standard Version 1.5.9 - available now - includes bug fixes. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - ND for Good Technology Version 1.5.9 - available now - includes bug fixes. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- Local Document Server - version 3.5.9 - fixed out of space errors. This software has been updated with other bug fixes.
- Desktop Scanner Connector - version 18.104.22.168 - this is used for scanning with TWAIN drivers. No changes were made to this software.
- Adobe Integrations – version 2.5 - Supports Acrobat and Reader versions 10 and 11. If you are using version 8 or 9, please keep a copy of the old integrations if needed, however be aware that we do not support the older versions. If you are using the Adobe integrations, we recommend that you use this new version because various bug fixes were made. Go to Settings > Application Settings to access the Marketplace link to download and install this add-on.
- Folder Import tool - version 3.8.8 - this tool has been updated with various bug fixes. If you use this tool, we recommend that you use the new version.
- Mass Import tool - version 1.8.6 - .eml files imported via the Mass Import Utility are now parsed as email messages similar to .msg files. Various bug fixes. If you use this tool, we recommend that you use the new version.
- REST - Document attachment functions are now available
- REST - Ability to PUT an item in Deleted Items
- REST - Deleted items are now searchable
- REST - Recent Docs lists can now be updated during check out and check in
- REST - When a workspace is added to favorites the workspace info is also returned in the same call
- REST - Recently Selected profile values lists can now be updated
- REST - .eml messages are now parsed the same as .msg files
- REST - Retrieve repository groups and member lists, create new groups, delete groups, and add users to groups.
- REST- Retrieve custom profile attributes in bulk
- REST - Ability to change access in bulk
- REST - Download consolidated activity log
- REST - Base64-encoded payloads are now supported
- REST - Ability to GET and PUT cabinet membership
- REST - Ability to Lock a version and PUT a version description
- Interactive API - Ability to navigate directly to the Document Delivery dialog