We are excited to announce the next worldwide Update for the NetDocuments Service which is planned for July 30, 2015, beginning at 11:59 PM US Eastern time (4:59 AM London and 3:59 AM UTC) for the US datacenter. For the EU datacenter, the Update is to commence on July 30, 2015 at 10:00 PM London time. The 15.3 beta period began July 9, 2015. See our Beta Announcement for more information. As always during the beta period issues may be found which may impact the actual release date of the Update.
Required ActiveX Install
A new ActiveX version is REQUIRED for all Internet Explorer users with the 15.3 Update. If users require an IT group to install or allow access to install the ActiveX, prior arrangements should be made for that to occur before each Update. NetDocuments will always provide a minimum 3 weeks notice prior to any Update requiring an ActiveX install and will make the software available when the Beta starts. Not all Updates require an update to the ActiveX, however it should be anticipated with each Update to ensure appropriate preparations have been made to install the ActiveX when required. For any given Update, updates to the ActiveX may change during the Beta period. However, to allow more time to install the ActiveX, we work to finalize it by the time the beta begins. You can use this URL to install the ActiveX - it does not require a host file change or login:
ndOffice customers only: If you are using a version of ndOffice older than the 1.5 version, it has to be updated prior to the release of the 15.3 Update planned for July 30, 2015. We suggest you update it at the same time as the new ActiveX which is also required for the 15.3 Update. If you are already using ndOffice 1.5, it does NOT need to be updated.
If you are using an older version of ndOffice, it will not work with 15.3. It is not compatible with the new ActiveX for 15.3.
Discontinuance of older .NET software
To provide advance information, when you install ndOffice 1.6 version after it is released in September 2015, it will not support older versions of the Microsoft .NET software. As of the release of ndOffice 1.6, .NET version 4.5.2 or newer will be required. Please be aware that this applies to the ndOffice 1.6 version. We recommend all customers install the new .NET as soon as can be done, because Microsoft is discontinuing the older versions of .NET as of January 2016. See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/framework_faq
Please refer to the Update and Beta Procedures article in the Announcements section for more detailed information on the update process at NetDocuments. For your planning purposes, the next Update (15.4) is currently planned for October 1, 2015.
Please check the information below on the newest versions of other client software with this Update. We strongly recommend that you update all client software. All client software other than ndOffice should be updated no sooner than one week prior to the 15.3 Update. The new ndOffice 1.6 version will be made available during September.
Several exciting changes are included in the 15.3 Update. We encourage you to become acquainted with the changes prior to the release of the Update, so you are ready when the Update is released. You are also welcome to beta test the 15.3 Update starting on July 9, 2015.
Items listed in these Update Notes are subject to change prior to the actual Update being released.
Users can change their Username - Users have the option to change their username, from Settings > Personal Information. Please note that usernames that are being used by another user of the NetDocuments Service cannot be used. Please do not make any username changes during the beta. They have to be made after the release of the Update on July 30th. See the Beta Announcement for more information.
New Simple Search - Capability is now provided in the Simple Search to search by Name or by Everything. It will default to the selection you previously chose each time you use the Simple Search. The default is listed first on the dropdown. So if Name is listed on the first line of the drop-down and you enter a search criteria and hit Enter, it will automatically search the Name field.
New Recent Search List - Now when you enter something in the Simple Search, your most recent searches display in a drop-down. Also, shown below that list is a list of your most recently accessed Saved Searches. The Saved Search list is also available from the Advanced Search Options menu.
Matter Selector - Users can now select a Matter (child value) from a lookup table without selecting a Client (parent value) first. In addition, type-ahead is now supported for custom fields such as Client and Matter, both in the navigation pane as well as the Advanced Search page.
New column information available in list view pages - You can now choose to include a custom field description as a column. Just click on the gear icon to go to the Define Display Format dialog, then add columns such as the Client Description and the Matter Description.
Enhanced Secure Document Delivery - Several options have been added to the Secure Document Delivery, including the option to specify the official version, sending a copy to yourself, and allowing Secure Delivery links to be revoked after being sent. Administrators can limit the expiration time frame for the deliveries now. If you previously were not able to use Secure Delivery links because you did not have Sharespaces enabled, you can now enable the Secure Delivery option independent of ShareSpaces. If you want to enable or disable either option, please contact Support.
Status of using Windows 10 with NetDocuments - As you know Windows 10 was released July 29, 2015. We are excited about the new OS. As far as we have seen in our testing, the NetDocuments Service works with Windows 10 when using Internet Explorer and the ActiveX. Because it is so new, we have not fully completed our testing of it. Because of that we are not yet able to consider it fully supported.
Until we can accommodate telephone requests to Support for the new OS, we ask that you only submit tickets for Windows 10 issues. If it is a bug related issue, we will have testing review it. We appreciate you submitting tickets related to issues you may encounter while using Windows 10 in your environment so they can be fixed. We may not be able to answer Windows 10 questions submitted to Support at this point, but we will address any fixes that may need to be made.
The Edge browser can be used in the same way as Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. The ActiveX control is not supported using the Edge browser. If you have been using NetDocuments with the Internet Explorer browser, you should continue using that browser with Windows 10 while using NetDocuments.
We anticipate having ndOneClick available for the Edge browser within the next couple of Updates.
We expect Windows 10 to be fully tested and ready for the next Update.
ndOffice 1.6 - This version is planned to be released on September 17, 2015. It includes a redesigned NetDocs Outlook Save dialog allowing a much greater level of selection options. More detailed Update notes for this version of ndOffice will be provided prior to the release of the ndOffice 1.6 Update in September.
User Interface related changes
There are several other changes listed below, as well as several bug fixes being made available in this Update.
Please make sure you refresh your browser with Ctrl+F5 to clear any old cache after the Update.
- Administrators can now enable ShareSpaces and Secure Delivery independent from each other on the Cabinet Administration page.
- Display an approximate count for documents in workspace filters and Saved Searches on the workspace summary view.
- Type-ahead for custom fields such as client and matter.
- Additional History logging for documents.
- Improvements to the ndOneClick beta, expected to be released with 15.4.
- Up to double the speed to download and upload documents.
All NetDocuments client software can be installed during the week prior to the release of 15.3 or can be installed after the Update to ensure that the most recent version is installed. (Any previous versions of these add-ins should be removed prior to updating them). You should install the latest version of the client software so that you have the most up-to-date and bug-free software.
As with all of our client software, we only support the latest version available. We strongly recommend that you download and install the latest version of each Add-in client that you are using.
Prior versions will NOT be supported and use of them may result in errors or possibly data loss in some instances. If you experience an issue with an updated version, please contact NetDocuments Support. If you are using an older version and experience issues, please understand that changes and fixes will be provided only for the most recently released version. If you encounter problems with a previous version, you will be required to update the software to resolve the issue. If you are working with Support related to a bug, you can get information related to the bug's status from your Support Case. Because of this normal interaction with Support, we do not describe all of the bugs that have been fixed in an Update. You can also verify a bug fix with the new Update by testing a feature to see whether an issue has been fixed or not. For the client software, however, we do include major changes and major bug fixes to assist you when installing and implementing the new software.
For current versions of client software not listed below, please see the Download Help page. All available downloads and add-ins can be found under the Downloads and Integrations section.
- ActiveX - [ Required for ALL IE users ] - msi version 2.1.5 - (includes neWebcl.dll - NeRemoteDoc Class v 22.214.171.124 and ndCrypto.dll - NetDocuments Cryptography Class v 126.96.36.199 which has not changed) - the 15.3 Update REQUIRES a new version of the ActiveX add-on for Internet Explorer We recommend that you install the ActiveX after the beta starts and before the release of the Update at your convenience. Learn how to Install the ActiveX
- ndOffice - ndOffice 1.6.x [this version will be available September 17, 2015 ] - supports Office 2010, SP2, 32-bit and Office 2013, 32-bit. We recommend all customers using ndOffice update to this version when it is available. The beta for this ndOffice version will be available the first part of September, 2015, with the official release of version 1.6 planned for September 17th. You can download the new version from the Download Section in Help after it is released. We recommend that you initially deploy ndOffice to a small group of users to make sure it functions properly in your environment prior to installing it for all of your users. Users who already have an earlier version of ndOffice installed will be prompted to install the update automatically (if notifications are enabled and are allowed by the Administrator.)
- NOTE: ndOffice version 1.6 requires Microsoft .NET 4.5.2 or newer.
- Application Integrations – version 2.2.6 - No new changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- EMS Profiler – version 2.1.5 - No new changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- EMS Folders - version 3.5.1 - No new changes. If you have experienced any issues with this add-on in the past, you should install the newest version.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - Standard Version 2.1.4 - available on the App Store - includes bug fixes. It also includes a new viewer for msg files. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- IOS App Update for iPad and iPhone - ND for Good Technology Version 2.1.4 - available on the App Store. See changes above. Check your iOS device for updates since that update schedule is independent of the main NetDocuments Service Update.
- Local Document Server - version 3.7.7 - Various bug fixes. We recommend that you update to this newest version, if you are using the LD Server software.
- Desktop Scanner Connector - version 188.8.131.52 - This is used for scanning with TWAIN drivers. No changes were made to this software.
- ndOneClick for Windows - Windows version 184.108.40.206 - Beta - Provides functionality to automate opening and editing of documents when not using ActiveX.
- ndOneClick for MAC - MAC version 220.127.116.11 - Beta - Provides functionality to automate opening and editing of documents when not using ActiveX..
- Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner integration - version 1.0 - available for any ScanSnap with ScanSnap manager software. No change to this software. This can be downloaded from the Help Download page.
- Adobe Integration – version 18.104.22.168 - Supports Acrobat and Reader versions 10, 11, and 12 (DC). Various bug fixes. Download the Adobe plug-in here.
- Folder Import tool - version 3.9.1 - No changes have been made since the last Update. If you use this tool, you should install the newest version.
- Mass Import tool - version 22.214.171.124 - If you use this tool, you should install a new version each time you use it, to ensure you have the latest version.
- REST - Allow removing the date value of a custom date field that is set to default to the current date.
- REST - Add call to add an entry to the History for a document view.
- REST - Can now assign VSA rights to a document.
- REST - Ability to reset workspaces.
- REST - Remove user from a repository.
- REST - Allow facet searches.
Support and Feedback
Comments, questions, suggestions, and problem reports are all welcome. Contact us at 1-866-NET-DOCS (638-3627) or email@example.com.
When reporting a problem, please provide:
- Fully-detailed description of the problem, including the exact error message or screen shots
- Detailed steps to reproduce the issue
- Error logs (if any)
We thank you for all of your input and feedback and we appreciate your using the NetDocuments Service.
The NetDocuments Team