Under Settings > Login Information, NetDocuments offers two methods of automated login:
1) Automated Login
2) Certificate-Based Login
When using NetDocuments, for security reasons, as a user you will be logged out automatically after 90 minutes of inactivity. As a NetDocuments User you can enable an automated login option if your organization utilizes Microsoft Active Directory services. This feature requires Active Directory Services and a Windows 7 or higher machine, as well as the ActiveX add-on for IE. It is only available when Active Directory is present on the organization's network.
The Automated Login option appears automatically on the login page if Active Directory Services are enabled (you will not see the option at all if AD is not present). If the Automated Login is enabled, the session timeout is increased to 8 hours. After 8 hours of inactivity, you will be re-logged into NetDocuments automatically.
To enable this feature within NetDocuments:
- Login to your NetDocuments account
- Click Settings
- Click Login Information
- Select to Enable Automated Login
A digital certificate is an electronic file that establishes your personal credentials for security purposes. Digital certificates are issued by a third-party trusted Certificate Authority (CA). When a CA issues a digital certificate, it verifies that the owner is not claiming a false identity, just as when a government issues you a passport, it is officially vouching for the fact that you are who you say you are! When a CA grants you a digital certificate, it puts its integrity behind your identity based on credentials you submit during the registration process. CAs usually offer a warranty assuring the validity of your identity.
To enable this capability, login to NetDocuments and do the following:
- Click on Settings
- Click on Login Information
- Check Allow certificate-based login
- Click on Register Certificate. Note: You should already have registered a personal certificate with your Windows operating system prior to registering it with NetDocuments. If you have not, you will not be able to enable certificate-based login. NOTE: The certificate must be a personal certificate, not a computer certificate or a code signing certificate.
- Go back to the NetDocuments login page.
- Click Need Login Assistance and choose the option to login with a digital certificate, then click the "Login Now" link.
NetDocuments also provides a federated identity service (SSO) with any SAML 2.0 identity provider. Talk to your system administrator, or learn more about Federated Identity.