The Download option provides two options:
1) Briefcase folder
2) A local folder
This option provides the capability to save multiple document copies from a List View to a local disk location. It enables the Briefcase Mode which creates the ability to download document copies which can then be edited while off-line and then synchronized back to NetDocuments.
HINT: When downloading multiple documents to work on them offline for an extended period of time, ndSync offers a more seamless solution. Learn More.
NOTE: The Briefcase Mode is only available to users when echoing is enabled.
This option can be used if you want to offload documents to your PC for access when there is no Internet connection, such as traveling to a location where you will not have Internet access. You may or may not be modifying the documents. If you do modify a document off-line while it is in the ND Briefcase folder, the next time that you have an Internet connection and run the "NetDocuments Check In List" synchronization process, it will be synchronized with the Online copy.
- Go to a List View such as Recent Docs, a Folder, or a Search Results page.
- Select the documents you wish to copy.
- Click Group Options (for multiple documents) or More Options (for individual documents) from the Document Details Panel
- Select the Download option.
- Select the Briefcase radio button
- Click OK.
These documents will be stored in a ND Briefcase folder that is automatically created under My Documents. The ND Briefcase Folder is monitored by the same program that monitors the Echo directory. The Janitor will upload changed documents and replace the copy that is online when it processes. When the echo retention period expires the copies of documents in the ND Briefcase folder will be deleted from the folder. If you want to upload your changes manually, you can go to the Windows Programs and select the NetDocuments Check-In List and click the Synchronize option. The NetDocuments Check In List (neNote.exe) is included with the NetDocuments ActiveX control. You cannot have subfolders in the ND Briefcase folder and have documents in them be synchronized.
Caution: Because the online document is not checked-out or "locked" from editing when a copy is placed into the Briefcase folder, another person can edit the online copy and may not know that you have placed it into your Briefcase. When this occurs and you synchronize your edits when someone has the online document checked out, your edits will be placed into the document and the person who is editing online will have their edits placed into the echo directory. If that person then opens the document online, it will give them a message telling them that their edits have been placed into a temp file and provide the location for that temp file. The edits must then be manually merged or uploaded as a new version. If you manually delete a document from the ND Briefcase folder, it will not affect the online copy. If you have selected numerous documents, it may take a while for the process to complete.
This option is used when you want to save document copies locally to a computer. Once they are saved locally, NetDocuments is not aware of their existence and they are no longer managed by NetDocuments. This option does not do any synchronization with NetDocuments like the Briefcase option does.
- Go to a List View such as Recent Documents, a Folder, or a Search Results page.
- Select the documents you wish to copy.
- Click Group Options (for multiple documents) or More Options (for individual documents) from the Document Details Panel.
- Click Download.
- Click the Other Folder radio button and browse to find a location to store the documents locally.
- Select one of the three options; XML file, delimited ASCII file, or No file. These files provide additional meta and profile data associated with the documents.
- If you have selected numerous documents, it may take a while for the process to complete.
NOTE: If you Download multiple documents in a browser without the ActiveX installed, the documents will be downloaded into a zip file.
NOTE: Using this option for multiple documents at one time can be enabled only for a certain group of users by the Cabinet Administrator.
NOTE: The Download option will not appear for ShareSpace users who have View-Only rights.