15.2 Beta Announcement
The Beta for the 15.2 Update will officially begin on April 9, 2015 at 5:00 pm Eastern (10:00 PM London) with the release of the 15.2 Update planned for April 30, 2015.
We encourage users to test the beta software to ensure that it works well in your own environment. As you know, all environments are different and we test for the main functionality of the software.
A 15.2 Update Notes announcement with more detail will be available in the Announcements section of the Support portal when the beta starts. Please refer to the Update Notes for more information on the changes. The 15.2 Update Notes article is moved from the Announcement section to the Knowledgebase section at support.netdocuments.com following the 15.2 Update. This allows it to still be available to users.
ndOffice users only - There is a new ActiveX which needs to be installed for the 15.2 Update to use ndOffice.
To beta test the new 15.2 Update with the latest ndOffice, you will need to install a new ActiveX. It should be installed when the 1.5 ndOffice version is available, which is expected to be May 8, 2015.
If you are currently using ndOffice, we also highly recommend that you install the ActiveX for all of your users beginning any time after the Beta starts on April 9, 2015 until the 15.2 Update is made available on April 30, 2015. This process provides you with more time to install the ActiveX at your convenience. Please reference the Update Notes for the ActiveX version information. You can download and install it after you are connected to the beta with the following URLs:
For the US datacenter: https://vault.netvoyage.com/neWeb2/newebcl.msi
You can also use https://beta-vault.netvoyage.com/neWeb2/newebcl.msi (this will take you to the beta without changing your host file)
For the EU datacenter: https://eu.netdocuments.com/neWeb2/newebcl.msi
You can also use https://beta-eu.netdocuments.com/neWeb2/newebcl.msi (this will take you to the beta without changing your host file)
ndOffice Users only - Additional notes related to installing and using the ActiveX
- If you are using ndOffice, 15.2 contains an update to both the neCrypto.dll and the neWebCl.dll that you should install.
- The current 15.1 version of neCrypto.dll is 126.96.36.199 (also named NetDocuments Cryptography Module in the IE browser Add-on section)
- The current 15.1 version of neWebCl.dll is 188.8.131.52 (also named NeRemoteDoc Class in the IE browser Add-on section)
The version of the neCrypto.dll was not changed from 184.108.40.206 (also named NetDocuments Cryptography Module in the IE browser Add-on section)
- The 15.2 version of neWebCl.dll is 220.127.116.11 (also named NeRemoteDoc Class in the IE browser Add-on section)
- There are two ways of installing these dlls:
- Via the neWebCl.msi—this registers the dlls and puts them in the C:\Program Files (x86)\NetDocuments location (note - it does NOT “install” them in the browser - the user may still get prompted based on the IE settings and permissions.)
- Via a prompt from the IE browser on the login page if the user has permission to accept them. This will install and register the dlls at: C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files
- If the workstation already has both dlls installed in either location, then this update will require the user to accept, via two separate IE prompts, the installation of both dlls into the browser. See #1.5 above.
- Special note: These ActiveX controls will NOT install if the neNote.exe process is running or if any other IE browser, or Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel or PowerPoint is running when the user has the NetDocuments Application Integrations installed.
- To successfully install both dlls, the IE browser processes must not be running including the Microsoft Applications Word, Outlook, Excel, or PowerPoint, and the NetDocuments neNote.exe process.
Installing other NetDocuments Client Software
You can install other new client software versions for beta testing, but for usage with the 15.2 Update, you should install the latest version of each client software for production usage no earlier than a week prior to the 15.2 Update. This ensures that you are installing the latest version for production of any client software in case changes are made during the beta period. Client software version numbers are available in the 15.2 Update Notes. Please double check the client software version numbers with the Update Notes prior to installing client software to ensure that you are installing the latest version.
If you participate in the Beta testing, please consult with your NetDocuments Administrator and use the information below. The Beta period allows you to give NetDocuments personnel feedback and gives you an opportunity to use it in your environment and get familiar with the changes.
Please make sure you do a Control F5 on your browser to remove any old cookies and cache as you begin to use the beta.
To report bugs related to the Beta, send them to email@example.com. If you have other questions as you review the Beta, please go to support.netdocuments.com and create a ticket providing a description of the question or issue.
Instructions to access the BETA
For each PC/device accessing the beta, please following the steps listed below.
US Datacenter - If you use the US Datacenter at vault.netvoyage.com, set your Host file (located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) to include this line:
18.104.22.168 vault.netvoyage.com #US beta pool
The beta servers are US-PRWebBeta01, 02, etc. for your reference.
EU Datacenter - If you use the EU Datacenter at eu.netdocuments.com, set your Hosts file (located at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc) to include this line:
22.214.171.124 eu.netdocuments.com #EU Beta
The beta servers are UK-PRWebBeta01, 02, etc. for your reference.
NOTE: If you want to test the beta 15.2 EMS Profiler or EMS Folders (and we encourage this), you MUST also put one of the following entries in your host file depending on which datacenter you are using.
If you are installing ndOffice, you ALSO need to include this in your host file.
Remember you must remove the Beta host information AFTER the 15.2 Update is released to be able to login to the service after the beta servers are removed.
We recommend that you include as many testers as you feel you can manage. These testers should be individuals who use the product each day and who would recognize a defect in the product and will report the steps to recreate it to NetDocuments. We ask testers to actively review the new features and report bugs they discover. Be aware that this is beta software which should not be used in a production environment and may cause crashes or result in data loss.
We appreciate your willingness to participate in the important beta testing process. NetDocuments reserves the right to modify the process at any time and to determine who may participate.
URL-based Beta Testing
We also encourage you to use the capability to enter a URL to go to the beta software. You will be prompted to add the URL to your Trusted Sites list.
Depending on which datacenter you are using, you would use one of the following URLs to access the beta with this URL method:
- US datacenter - use the URL https://beta-vault.netvoyage.com to get to the beta software.
- EU datacenter - use the URL https://beta-eu.netdocuments.com to get to the beta software.
Be aware that when using this method, you will not have access to any client-side software such as the Office integrations or EMS. This option is meant to provide access to the browser-based features available in the beta.
With this URL capability to beta test, a user can easily test the web software associated with the new Update without going through the steps of changing their host file. General beta testers should still use the host file method to perform a complete test with the client software. Even though the URL method is available, it should not be treated as the main way to test the new Update because it does not include the ability to test the client software.